This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display Problems

i upgraded from edgy yesterday (using apt-get) and been suffering ever since

at first, it just kept eating up my memory

i then uninstalled some programs, but now it wont go to a graphical interface

im stuck using a terminal

any suggestions

my build is

AG8X/Dual Channel DDR 400 motherboard
    2 80 gig SATA drives (one of which has Feisty)
    1 80 gig EIDE drive
    AMD 64 3000+ processor
    ATI Radeon 9200 video card

please help (any reply within the next 24 hours will be greatly appreciated since i have to program a project for one of my classes due tomorrow night)

Re: Display Problems

Hi

From the terminal try this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Then type startx.

Any joy?

Ian

Comment

I would amplify Liquidator's advice by suggesting that, on the first screen of the dpkg-reconfigure routine, you choose "NO" on the auto-detect question, and on the second screen you choose "VESA" as the display type. This will not be the best quality your card is capable of, by far, and the 60 Hz refresh rate will soon give you a headache, but at least you'll have a GUI and an ability to function that way.

Later, when you are not under deadline pressure, you should search this forum and the Ubuntu Forums for your ATI 9200, and review how others have got it working under Feisty, or even Edgy.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        I would amplify Liquidator's advice by suggesting that, on the first screen of the dpkg-reconfigure routine, you choose "NO" on the auto-detect question, and on the second screen you choose "VESA" as the display type. This will not be the best quality your card is capable of, by far, and the 60 Hz refresh rate will soon give you a headache, but at least you'll have a GUI and an ability to function that way.

Later, when you are not under deadline pressure, you should search this forum and the Ubuntu Forums for your ATI 9200, and review how others have got it working under Feisty, or even Edgy.

its getting there, following Liquidator's advice, iget to the kde 3.5 load screen

however, during the middle of loading, the screen turns entirely blue, and the only other thing visible is the mouse (which can still move)

as for your advice dibl, when i do that, i just get the "Not Optimum Mode" box drifting across the screen

Comment

Hi again

I note you said earlier that you uninstalled some programs?

Can you recall what they were, as it sounds like something may need reinstalling - kdm perhaps.

Ian

Comment

im not exactly sure

in any case, i am now able to get to the desktop (looked at pretty much every install fglrx
            thread to do it) but cant look at any of my folders

so i'm kinda half-way there (it also starts up as a text-interface and i have to type 'startx')

after it loads, i get an error window

Malformed URL
            system:/
            (it also occurs when i click the kmenu)

Comment

ok its all back, (not sure how though)

now for a quick question before closing this thread, how do i attach the different panels to the bottom panel?

Comment

Working...
              X