This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading using the DVD

I'm running Edgy Eft and I have a Feisty Fawn DVD that I downloaded. I know how to upgrade to Feisty Fawn over the net, but is it possible to upgrade using the DVD (which should be much faster)? I tried using the Install on the DVD but it appeared ready to trash the existing Kubuntu partition, so I aborted it.

Re: Upgrading using the DVD

Hi,

I have the same problem, but from 6.06.1 LTS (Dapper) to 7.04 (Feisty).
    Could anybody write down a step-by-step guide to upgrade from DVD?

Thanks in advance!
    jcf

Comment

It's good to know someone else has the same problem, so the solution is probably not at all obvious if it exists at all.

Comment

I'm only a Newbie, but I believe I read somewhere that you can only use the Alternative Cd to upgrade, if you downloaded the DVD ISO it will only format your existing installing.
        Some one who is an expert might like to verify that

Comment

I'm no expert but I will also verify the above, the Alternative CD can be used for the upgrade, the other ISOs I believe are just for fresh installs.

Comment

I have tried both: DVD and Alternate CD. The result is the same .

Comment

What is supposed to be the difference between the regular DVD and the alternate DVD? Are there disadvantages of the alternate? And where does one find the alternate DVD?

Comment

I think there is not an alternate DVD, but an alternate CD.
                I think that DVD allow upgrade or clean install.
                You can get a CD for clean install and another one (alternate CD) for upgrade.

Regards.
                jcf

Comment

Not that I've managed to get this to work yet, but I don't think you want to boot from the alternate CD, you want to run it once you're in Kubuntu...

Comment

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the Internet.

Download and burn the alternate installation CD

Insert it into your CD-ROM drive

A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD

Follow the on-screen instructions

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Note that for Kubuntu the upgrade dialogue will not be displayed and you will need to install gksu before running the above command (it will not work with kdesu).
                    Thanks
                    Alvin ARS ka9qlq
                    Kubuntu 12.04 on a AMD X2 6000+ Asus M3A78-CM 4 GB RAM ATI Radeon 3100 256MB & 2 TB SATA HD
                    Just believing there IS a God won't get you to Heaven.
                    Accepting Jesus as your Lord and master is the only way!
                    http://www.4laws.com/laws/languages.html
                    http://www.godssimpleplan

Comment

Unfortunately, gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade" does not work.
                      Please, see: "edgy to feisty upgrade without network access" at
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082212.0

Kind Regards
                      jcf

Comment

There is stuff missing from the standard Kubuntu install. I started to follow the trail of packages required but haven't finished yet.... It seems there are a number of python and glade packages needed to run the upgrade program. It would be nice if the developers could give us a list of prerequisite packages for the cdromupgrade python script.

I am very disappointed that after downloading all 4.5 GBs of the Kubuntu DVD that I can't upgrade my systems because I do not know what I am supposed to have installed to run the upgrade script on the DVD

With 4 systems at home running Kubuntu I didnt want to have to run the upgrade via the net on all 4. I thought the DVD would be perfect. No need to spend days doing fresh installs and recustomising 4 systems and no need to waste GBs worth on download quota.

Sigh, I know the guys do their best and I know they do it for the love of it. I really shouldn't complain. It would just be nice to have a little more info.

If any one could help, I would be appreciative.

Randall.

Comment

OK....

I managed to get it working... I did have to install the update-manager and update-manager-core python-all and glade-2.. Once they were install (plus all the requisite packages for them) the upgrade program worked.

Seems the cdromupgrade script on the Kubuntu DVDis designed for ubuntu. So you need a number of the ubuntu packages to get it working.

Hope this helps.

Randall.

Comment

Working...
                          X