This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot load in KDE session

Today I installed clean Kubuntu 7.04 (migration from mandriva 2007). And I can't log into KDE session. I leave my /home partition intact, and after first attempt to load into KDE, it says it cannot load kdesetup (or something) please check your installation. Then I check in console mode the permisions and it appears I don't have permissions to write to my home directory. I changed it, and now it says:
    Could not read network connection list
    /home/vladoboss/.DCOPserver_vladoboss_0
    Check is dcopserver program is running

What's the problem?

Re: Cannot load in KDE session

Also I create new user, just to check that this problem is related to permisions. And when I try to load in KDE with the new user I get thiss message:
    Could not start kstartupconfig.
    Check your installation

I think Kubuntu 7.04 is far from finish and stable. Obviously Cannonical is paying much more attention to Ubuntu then to Kubuntu. Pity :-(
    And can somebodu tell me in which group the mainuser belong? Maybe I'm now doing correct chown

Comment

Re: Cannot load in KDE session

I imagine mandriva has a different group/user structure than kubuntu, or other distros for that matter. users and groups, even though they may have a 'name' I think are still represented by an ID number, and it looks like Mandy and Kubuntu use different ID's.

To fix this, in a terminal you should try this command:
      Code:
      sudo chown -Rv <username>.<groupname> /home/usename[code]
      so, in my example I would enter
      [code]sudo chown -Rv clay.clay /home/clay[
      note that the suername and gropupname are the same. That should get you it be able to log in as your main user, but you may also need to check that the home partition has read/write access for users, as this may also be the case in the transition from mandriva' to Kubuntu.

This really has nothing to do with kubuntu getting less love from developers, it is an issue due simply to the differences between two entirely different distributions

You also may see some artifacts left over from Mandriva in your desktop settings such as your kmenu and look and feel settings may have extra/missing things left over, and possibly some of the config files in the root of you home, such as your .bashrc may point to Mandriva things that are no longer there[/code][/code]

Comment

Working...
      X