Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New install 7.04, no user or password????? Help!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New install 7.04, no user or password????? Help!!!

I just installed 7.04 using the alternate cd and was never given the option of picking a user name or password. Upon reboot, I can't get past the login screen as no username or password will work. How do you create username and password once installed? I've installed many disto's and every version of feisty up till now and have always been able to create a user/password. I installed this one overtop 7.04 beta. Can this be fixed?

please help..

thanks in advance....

Mitch

Re: New install 7.04, no user or password?? Help!!!

anybody...

Comment

Can you boot with recovery? If you can make a new user K->system config->users admin mode add user or modify user if one is there. Give your new user admin rights. If that doesn't work. Hmmmm.

Check your CD if that is okay try again. Delete the beta partition at install->partition manually, make a new one, install again. If it still doesn't ask for user/password use the alt cd.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Like the previous poster said: when it first starts booting up, choose "recovery mode". It'll come up as a console with the command prompt "root@hostname". At the command line, you can get help (if I can call it that) on adding a new user by typing

Code:
        man adduser
        On the other hand, if you want to live more easily and more dangerously, type
        Code:
        startx
        at the prompt and the usual X window environment will load. Then you can use the usual System menu to add a user.

If this is your only problem, it should work. I had a problem where I got locked out of my home directories after an upgrade. There was something on a forum about some weird change to a hard drive designation, but I never did get an explanation I could understand or a solution I could use. So I wound up dumping everything and reinstalling. :P

Comment

@quixote: Thanks for rminding me of what I oversaw to mention
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

thanks for the replys, I couldn't wait any longer and decided to try reinstalling it. This time I got options to choose user name and password. Don't know why I didn't before. Thanks for your replys....I'll note them in case this ever happens again.

Comment

Working...
            X