This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insttallation Failed won't reboot

I left my PC to upgrade from Edgy to Feisty overnight friday. When I got up this morning the installation had failed. I restarted the machine hoping that no files had been over-written. I was wrong! Now I can't even boot to a console. I have downloaded the alternate install iso and burned it to a disk hoping that I could upgrade from there. After more reading tonight it looks like I would still need to be able to boot edgy for that to work. Any one have any ideas? I'm stuck surfing with the wifes MS machine

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

Re: Insttallation Failed won't reboot

Not trying to hijack, but I'm in the same boat. After rebooting, the boot screen shows the following:
    Code:
    * init:/etc/event.d/tty6:13:unknown stanza
    udevd[2124]: add_to_rules: PHYSDEV* values are deprecated and will be removed from a future kernel, please fix it in /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules:17
    (a few more lines similar to the last one)
    * Activating swap...
    * Checking root file system...
    fschk 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)  [OK]
    /dev/sda1: clean, ...
    * Checking file systems...
    fschk 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)  [OK]
    and that's it, it's sat like that for hours
    Is there a way to do an upgrade install or a repair install or similar and recover from this?

Wayne

Comment

Same thing.... Updater got frozen, KDE crashed. After reboot got
      * init:/etc/event.d/tty6:13:unknown stanza
      udevd[2124]: add_to_rules: PHYSDEV* values are deprecated and will be removed from a future kernel, please fix it in /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules:17
      and so on...
      What to do?

Comment

This is starting to look like a common problem to me. My error screen looks the same.

Comment

Installation Failed won't reboot

Very similar for me as well, except "tty2:13" and "udevd[2014]"

init:/etc/event.d/tty2:13:unknown stanza
          udevd[2014]: add_to_rules: PHYSDEV* values are deprecated

Any help out there? Please...

Comment

The Feisty Fawn upgrade also completely killed my machine. It had an error while updating samba (almost halfway through), now it does not boot up and I get

1) Errors from init about /etc/event.d/tty1 through tty5, control-alt-delete,logd,sulogin about "Unknown stanza"
            2) udevd complaining that PHYSDEV* rules are deprecated
            3) udevd error "specified group 'nvram' unknown'
            4) udevd could not find "60-libpisock.rules"
            5) udevd deprecated a direct reference to sysfs directories in 65-persistent-storage.rules

I am contemplating wiping it and doing a reinstall. This is very frustrating! There should be a way for it to back out of an install once it finds an error!

Comment

I tried to install over the top of my existing installation but it wants to re-partition my hard drive. I don't want to loose all my files! I hope there is someone that can help us!

Comment

Upgrading using the DVD

I saw the same thing and have already started a new thread about it: how to upgrade using the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                X