X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird dual boot idea/question

Hello all,

I finally got Feisty installed and working on my USB hard drive (look here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082032.0 to see how that went).

Anyways, I was wondering if I could do a rather odd dual boot off the the USB hard drive. Is is possible for me to install the AMD64 Kubuntu and the i386 Kubuntu on the same external hard drive and dual boot but have them share the /home directory? Could I do that and have them use the same 256MB swap space?

Also, I have a question about the /home directory. If I make a FAT32 partition and call it /home, will that mean that it acts like the /home directory that I currently see and use in my root directory? That's what I really want. Then the AMD64 and i386 Kubuntus could both use the /home directory and if I can make it a FAT32 directory then Windows can see it and use it to (since it'll be less than 32 GB).

So, anyone know if this is possible? I don't want to mess with my system since it took so long to get it to work properly, unless I have a reasonable chance of this working. Thanks.

Re: Weird dual boot idea/question

I don't know about the 64/32bit part, I would suppose as much. although I don't quite get the logic, but hey.... Is your /home a seperate partition? If not make one in ext3, move your user there.
    I would not suggest making a /home in fat32. Sure you can but it is not very effective and doesn't make sense.
    Just make a data partition format as fat32 and mount it as /data (or whatever). Windows will see that partiton on next boot. Then you can put the win/personal stuff (data, docs, exel, pics, movies, etc) you want to share between win and linux there.

This way you will always have your /home/user settings and your data seperate if something, for whatever reason goes wrong

I hope that helps

Cheers
    fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
    X