X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing With XP on Dell XPS M1710 Laptop

Hi,

I'm planning to install on my new work laptop and I need to keep XP on it, minimising the risks in the install process.

It has 4 partitions on it, the main XP partition, a utilities partition, a restore partition and a MediaDirect partition. I plan to keep all these and simply resize the main XP partition to make space.

In fact, I have already done this using GParted (Live CD) and have 70Gb of empty space. I am not familiar with the installation process from the live CD, so I am seeking some advice before proceeding.

Should I set up my linux partitions first using GParted (planning on a simple approach with just one big partition and a 3Gb swap)? Is it then safe to go through the installer?

Also, what would you recommend in terms of the bootloader? And does the installer even give me any options in this area?

Any other advice or tips would be much appreciated too.

Thanks!

Re: Installing With XP on Dell XPS M1710 Laptop

hmm

well this is way off topic but
    Dont use XP on a dell
    havnt you heard that Michael Dell using kubuntu on his ( and yes thats true )

lol

Comment

Since you have met gparted You might as well set up a /home, /swap / and /data (fat32) for sharing with your windows data (.doc, excel, etc). I always have a special partiton for my data so I don't have to worry about sys crashes (especially with winslow). Make a note of which partitions are where, ie xp=sda1, /home = sda5, / = sda6, etc (it could be hda instead of sda)

In the live -> install part choose manuell when you get to the partitioning part. It will see your partitions and ask you what you want to mount where and as what.
      Take your time and consult the notes you made before. if you have data on your /data partition do not format! The rest you can format. The bootloader (grub) should go to its default (hd0), it will see windows. If you have a special bootloader and know how to configure it then you can load it to your root partition by pressing advanced after the partitioning bit and choosing your root partition. Be ware!! If your root is hda6 you will have to write (hd0,5) here. That is how grub counts. Now install and enjoy. If you have any questions let us know

Cheers and welcome
      fintan
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

@daffydk: Yeah I saw that
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a bash later on when I muster up some more courage. I'll report back how I got on.

Thanks Again!

Comment

Yeah, a beer or three can't hurt
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

As you've no doubt gathered already, I'm being very cautious about this. I've got another question about partitioning...

I have 4 primary partitions already which I don't want to harm. I've already resized the main NTFS Windows one, and now have roughly 70GB unallocated. However, GParted informs me that I can't create any more primary partitions.

I guess there is no ideal way round this. I'm planning to delete one of my partitions, probably the smallest one which I think contains utilities and stuff and create a new extended partition with two logical partitions in it, one for / and one for swap.

Can anyone see any issues with this approach?

Thanks.

Comment

Any harddirive will only accept 4 primarry partitions.

You can create as many logical partitions as you wish

All you have to do is choose logical instead of primary at creation.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Got it done. Thanks for your advice.

I zapped the restore partition and created a / and swap partition using GParted. After that it all went fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X