Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crashing CVS installation - Filesystem problems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashing CVS installation - Filesystem problems?

Yesterday I started upgrading my Edgy installation to Fiesty. There was a problem that stopped the upgrade (I didn't catch the error message) that stopped the installation of the packages after they had downloaded. I killed the dpkg process, leaving a lock. Someone recommended that I run dpkg --configure -a, which worked perfectly. The packages were installing again.

Then came the real problem. When installing the cvs package the computer gradually slows to a halt with about 0% CPU utilization. The mouse is the only thing that will work in X. If I'm in the virtual terminal during the install I see the same error repeatedly popping up straight to the terminal. My only guess is that there is a filesystem problem, which explains both the message and why any program that might do a file read/write crashes.

Cheers,
    Pingveno

ThinkPad T43
    ReiserFS 3 root partition
    Kernel 2.6.17.11-generic

Update with more info:
    The message that was sent to the console is:
    Code:
    [########.######] ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/40 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
    where the # signs are random numbers.

The installation crashes after apt-get (or whatever program it's calling) outputs:
    Code:
    unpacking replacement cvs

Re: Crashing CVS installation - Filesystem problems?

Fixed! I don't know what the problem was, but I deleted all of the files from my apt cache and the problem simply went away. I think there was some sort of a read problem with at least one of the files.

Comment

Working...
    X