This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edgy to Feisty: Kubuntu distribution upgrade tool problem

After getting my edgy system up-to-date I get the pop-up window and it says: "Ready to upgrade! Click finish to close the Adept Package Manager and launch the Kubuntu distribution upgrade tool."

I click "Finish", close the Adept and nothing happens. Should I start the upgrade tool manually? How?

Re: Edgy to Feisty: Kubuntu distribution upgrade tool problem

I'm having the same problem on my laptop. I am suspecting that all of the servers are really busy and that's the cause of the problem. I'm just going to wait a few days until things settle down and try again before I start getting upset.

Comment

I don't think that server overload is causing the problem...

Well, repositories are updated, so we could just run Adept Updater and update all packages as usually when updating. I think that would do the same job. But, I would rather use that upgrade tool.

Comment

Try doing a "Fetch Updates" again in Adept Manager if you haven't already. See if that will prompt the wizard again.

Comment

When I was doing manual testing of this tool, I had to use this to start the Wizard, but that was from a specified directory that I had to create and untar the pkg. It might work it might not, I can't make any guarantees.

Code:
          sudo python dist-upgrade.py --frontend DistUpgradeViewKDE

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            Try doing a "Fetch Updates" again in Adept Manager if you haven't already. See if that will prompt the wizard again.
            Yes, it prompts the wizard again, but the rest is the same: "Ready to upgrade!" -> "Finish" ->

Comment

I had a lot of similar trouble as well. The python script ran ok until it had about 12 minutes remaining then aborted.Later the upgrade tool crashed, I ran sudo dpkg --configure -a and had some packages that did not/ would not install. Apparently I needed to add the group "cdrom" which I thought I had already but was not there.. I then ran the lsb_release -rd command and found out the upgrade apparently was successful.

$ lsb_release -rd
              Description: Ubuntu 7.04
              Release: 7.04

Comment

OK, after fetch updates, are their any updates needing to be applied? Edgy has to fully up to date before continuing with the wizard.

Comment

If you ran this at the command line and got errors, then it is very possible that those portions of the Upgrade Tool did not install.

Comment

Some are reporting Python errors, my suspicion is it isn't installed completely or has some broken dependencies.
                    Try this at konsole

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Comment

If you are manually closing adept then don't click finish and wait...After couple of seconds adept will close and the updater will pop up.....
                      Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

Same problem here: the wizard launches, gets to the point of clicking on Finish, and nothing happens, even after a reasonably long time.
                        Is there any other way to upgrade, like from Dapper to Edgy?

Comment

I think this problem is actually a bug.
                          I had to manually install both the python-glade2 and python-vte packages and still the updated GUI refuses to run for me.
                          I get the following error:
                          Code:
                          can't load DistUpgradeViewGtk (No module named UpdateManager.Common.SimpleGladeApp)
                          There's a bug filed about this on launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/108364

Comment

Hi all!

The same problem happens to me...all went fine and then I click finish and nothing happens...and I wait quite a lot to be sure that nothing happens..xD

I hope this will be fixed soon!

Comment

Sorry to hear all the problems . I've tried to relay what I know (evidently poorly) .
                              It could be a series of problems that I never encountered which is highly likely.
                              beyondthislife has a link to maybe some peoples problems.
                              For others it hasn't been clear as to where it goes wrong. I'm attaching my procedure
                              that I've used on all of my systems and hope that it will help future users. If after it downloads
                              packages and errors out during the actual install, manually run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" in konsole.
                              During beta testing of the tool on my first machine I did this and it appeared to save the upgrade (at
                              least for me and it is still working fine) but I did it right after the crash and I didn't reboot until the command completed (repeat the command after it finishes to make sure).
                              All subsequent tests I did went well, but I followed the below procedure. Hope anything said here helps.

Code:
                              Open Adept Manager
                              Fetch Updates
                              Click on Full Upgrade
                              Click Apply Changes
                              Once finished close Adept Manager...should the Upgrade Tool appear, don't run the tool.
                              Reboot the system
                              Open Adept Manager
                              Fetch Updates
                              The Upgrade Tool runs
                              Follow the Upgrade Tool, let it close Adept Manager

Comment

Working...
                              X