This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distribution Upgrade Tool

OK guys. My last test machine and this one was left to test the Dist Upgrade Tool as it was intended to be used. So far so good. This is a very old Dell 3800 Inspiron. This was my very firs Ubuntu System that I eventually migrated over to Kubuntu. Just clicked the Start button. Will post when completed. This is over a DSL line. Should be a good test for those who want to know the length of time over the net and for a machine of its age.

Re: Distribution Upgrade Tool

OK. Done and has rebooted. No errors !!
    Again, on a DSL line (close to 1.5 mbps). System has a Celeron 800MHz Processor.
    It took a while to install pkgs. The download of the pkgs took about 1.5 hours.

Comment

You went from Edgy to Feisty using just the new upgrade tool? Very nice -- good to hear that it works so well -- this should help (K)Ubuntu Linux a lot in the future, vs. that other OS.

Comment

Yep. I've really tested that thing out and left this machine last since it is sooo old. I wanted that to test the "final" product. It's nice to see this tool. I've done it the other manual way before, and it helped me learn my way around Linux, but it sure wasn't friendly, at least to me. Yes, that other OS could learn a thing or two, but I doubt it ever will .

Comment

Having problems with upgrade tool. 723 upgradeable showing in adept notify but when I try to download there are several errors. As well several "broken"entries in the list. The wizard shows up at the end but after supposedly successful download of the tool and clicking finish, nothing happens.

Downloaded the iso for 'alternate installation' and burned to cd but now not sure what to do with it.

Running, edgy now with kde 3.5.6 and loving it. Thanks for any help or clues. Still very new to linux.

Comment

In my case, I followed the instructions from kubuntu.org. Once I clicked in Adept that I wanted to download the software to upgrade kubuntu, it seemed to download it, but nothing else happened.

Is it possible to call the upgrade tool from the command line ? I can't seem to be able to find the name of the executable ...

Many thanks in advance !

Comment

Ok, pressing "Fetch Updates" in adept made the upgrade tool pop up again. I followed the wizerd, clicked next, next, next ... until it said something like "click next to close adept and start the upgrade" However, adept was never closed ever since. Ten minutes have gone by, the cpu usage is very high ... "top" shows 2 python processes eating up the cpu and there sin't anything useful in /var/log/messages

what a mess. Is this the way it shoul be ? I have had zero feedback in over ten minutes, i am thinking of closing adept manually. Needless to say, I don't see the cute little progress window from the upgrade instructions:

http://kubuntu.org/images/feistydistup.png

Comment

I tried one more time by launching adept from the command line, to see some feedback. There are some incompatible libraries. Geesh!

Code:
                gpg:
                Signature made Mon 16 Apr 2007 05:19:18 PM EDT using DSA key ID 437D05B5
                gpg:
                Good signature from "Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>"

gpg:
                WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
                gpg:
                    There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
                Primary key fingerprint:
                 39CC
                 130E
                 1A7F
                 D81A

27B1
                 6EAF
                 437D
                 05B5

can't load DistUpgradeViewKDE (/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kparts.so: undefined symbol: _ZN11konsolePart8setPtyFdEi)
                can't load DistUpgradeViewGtk (No module named vte)
                can't load DistUpgradeViewKDE (/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kparts.so: undefined symbol: _ZN11konsolePart8setPtyFdEi)

Comment

See here please:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...082028.new#new

Comment

My install failed and there was no information to say whether or not what my PC is running is a dysfunctional hybrid of 6.10 + 7.10 or a stable version of 6.10 with a few additions!

I am not sure whether to wipe the system with a fresh version of 6.10 or not?

Comment

Honestly, if you can first save any data that you need, I would seriously consider a fresh install of Feisty (ver. 7.04). On my hardware, and MOST of the ones who have reported their results, it is as stable or more stable than 6.10 ever was. Make a separate /home partition if you possibly can -- that is the best way to protect data in the event of an OS crash, or reinstallation.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                        Thanks ! I looked at the thread, and still couldn't fix it. I tried updating python-kde3 and that didn't help. I just decided to run "Full Upgrade" in Adept, it seems to be running fine ... let's see. I'll have to wait for next release to play with the distro upgrade. It looks cute in the screenshots :-)

I have the feeling that (G)Ubuntu is still a lot more polished than KUbuntu ... (in other words, I'm pretty sure the upgrade is more robust in the default Ubuntu interface)

Oh well ...

Comment

More info from me here posted on April 21, 2007 @ 8:54 am:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082028.0

Comment

Ran sudo dpkg--configure -a and that sorted out a couple things. Ran sudo apt-get update and get no errors - just puts me back at the prompt. Then this:
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get upgrade
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree
                            Reading state information... Done
                            You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
                            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                             adept-common: Depends: apt-index-watcher but it is not installable
                             debtags: Depends: apt-index-watcher but it is not installable
                             hplip: Depends: python (< 2.5) but 2.5.1~rc1-0ubuntu3 is installed
                             language-support-en: Depends: openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb but it is not installed
                                        Depends: openoffice.org-l10n-en-za but it is not installed
                             libgnomevfs2-0: Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.73) but 0.71-1ubuntu1 is installed
                             libxine-extracodecs: Depends: libxine1-ffmpeg but it is not installed
                             mplayer: Depends: libcaca0 (>= 0.99.beta11-1) but it is not installed
                                  Depends: libcucul0 (>= 0.99.beta11-1) but it is not installed
                                  Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.73) but 0.71-1ubuntu1 is installed
                                  Depends: libpulse0 but it is not installed
                             openoffice.org-core: Depends: openoffice.org-common (> 2.2.0) but 2.0.4-0ubuntu5 is installed
                             openoffice.org-style-andromeda: Depends: openoffice.org-common (= 2.2.0-1ubuntu3) but 2.0.4-0ubuntu5 is installed
                             openoffice.org-style-crystal: Depends: openoffice.org-common (= 2.2.0-1ubuntu3) but 2.0.4-0ubuntu5 is installed
                             volumeid: Depends: libvolumeid0 (>= 093-0ubuntu11) but it is not installable
                            E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
                            What will the
                            Code:
                            apt-get -f install
                            do? As mentioned before, when applying updates via Adept Manager, there are several broken dependencies and during download I end up with several errors. Is there a method to do the upgrade using the "alternate install" CD and if so, how? Many thanks for the help.

Comment

Usually when I received errors like that (on other application installs - not necessarily this Upgrade Tool), I did run the command that it suggest. It has always proven beneficial, but again, each system state will be different and it might not help, but is always good to try. It does appear there are some broken dependencies and that command might help repair those. After that then re-run "sudo dpkg --configure -a". Let us know.

Comment

Working...
                              X