This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after install woes

OK I downloaded and installed feisty this afternoon. I had to use the alternate cd because the desktop cd would hang the system. I have an asus m2v-mx, amd 64 x2, nvidia 7300GT pcie system.
    after loading the alternate cd and rebooting, the system got as far as trying to start the gui login screen then just gave me a long beep (actually it was a long whistle because it didn't stop till I power cycled the system).
    I did manage to get it booted into recovery mode. from there I installed the nvidia-glx-new and the nvidia 9755 x64 drivers. after doing that I can now telinit 3 and get a graphical login screen. But I still cannot boot in normal mode without hanging the system.
    so what I have is a system that cannot boot into runlevel 2 without hanging and also after rebooting now I have to reload the nvidia drivers because I get a message that the kernel driver is at 7136 level and I have the 9755 level installed..... not sure what thats about since I did install the nvidia-new which is 9755
    anyone else run into any of this?
    thanks

Re: after install woes

I'll give it a shot, although my 7.04 ISO is still downloading ....

I think you're going to have to reconfigure to a generic vesa gui, and then remove the nividia packages that you have, and start again, because I think maybe you failed to include the linux-restricted-modules package for your kernel, which you need prior to installing nvidia-glx-new. So, do the following:

1.a. Backup xorg.conf.
    1.b. Get into a console window and
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    but on the first screen choose "no" to audodetecting, and on the second screen choose "VESA" graphics mode. This will let you work in a GUI, but not have anything Nvidia running or dependent on running stuff. After the script dumps you back to a text prompt, type

Code:
    startx

2. Open Adept package manager, and scroll down to the linux packages and make sure that linux-restricted-modules for your kernel version is installed --- if not, mark it for installation. Scroll on down to the nvidia packages and mark anything that is installed for removal. "Apply" your changes.

3. At this point the gurus say you don't have to, but I usually do a warm re-boot of the system, which will bring you back to your VESA GUI with no nvidia drivers present or in xorg.conf or anywhere. Open Adept again, and this time, mark nvidia-glx-new for installation. NOTHING ELSE NEEDED! "Apply" your changes.

4. Now comes the magic -- open a console window, and execute
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
    That will write a new xorg.conf file with glx and composite enabled. Now re-start the xserver (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and log in again.

5. Open a console window and enter
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    This should bring up the Nvidia xserver configuration utility. If so, near the top you will observe a menu item named XServer Display Configuration. This is where you fix the problem in your original post. In the lower right of this panel, set your monitor resolution and refresh rate as you want them. Then click the "Save to X Configuration File" button, which will open a window and you will click "save". This will overwrite xorg.conf with your chosen default display mode. You needed to be "su" to do this just this once -- hereafter you can just run nvidia-settings to play with your display mode for each session.

Now, if all has proceeded according to specs, you will have a fixed Nvidia driver and display configuration. It works on my GeF 7900GS PCI card, and should work for you.

p.s. This approach will give you the -9755 generic driver. If you HAVE TO HAVE the 64-bit driver, then your only choice is to install the downloaded Nvidia driver -- do that as described by michellembrodeur toward the end of this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081783.0

Comment

Hi dibl,

Seems you are the nvidia goto guy :-) I followed your instructions and they didn't work for me :-(. So I followed your link and that didn't work for me either. :-(
      What I found was that there were some errors when running the NVIDIA...9755.. installer. Seems I didn't have the following directories:
      /usr/lib/nvidia
      /usr/lib32/tls
      Not sure why they weren't there but once I created them, I reran the install and then finished following michellembrodeur instructions but left out the "sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite --no-logo --only-one-x-screen --no-sli" line. I also had to manually edit the xorg.conf file and put "nvidia" in place of "vesa".
      I then rebooted and now I can boot it in "normal" mode (as opposed to recovery mode) and I get the nvidia logo and get graphics.
      Thanks for being available for the assist. Now onto customizing and getting everything else to work. :-)

Comment

no no no, pp --- YOU are now the Annointed One!

whatever ... I'm glad you got to a successful driver installation, however it happened.

Comment

Does this mean your passing the banner on and moving to bigger and better things :-) and if you are, I have more problems to send your way :-).........
          Thanks again.

Comment

I'm going nowhere -- fast!

All I ever knew about Nvidia drivers I learned here:

http://albertomilone.com/driver.html

he's the actual expert. I'm just a noob who took 10 tries to get a decent Edgy installation last fall, and some of that experience apparently turns out to be relevant to other folks' problems lately. I hate to see people trying to opt out of $M$, only to get stuck with video problems. So I help when I can (or sometimes even when I can't ....)

Comment

Well you do know your nvidia. I have been one of the fortunate ones that never used windows. I went from pcdos to os/2 (nows there was a system with potential), then linux. My first linux was turbolinux 1.3.
              I am hoping for good things with fiesty so I will make every effort to work out the bugs (at least on my system) and lend a hand here whenever possible.

Comment

I download the desktop CD but the install exit at about 80% without message, try again still the same, check the CD for error nothing found, I end up install the beta and dist-upgrade, but don't see any difference no surprise bugs still there, no joy
                Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Hi,
                  I found that the desktop cd does not work for me either. I do have better luck with the alternate cd. At least with that one I can install the system. Might want to give that one a shot.

Comment

I don't mind reinstall the system again and again, just hoping that all will come out right as promised, I know I can't blame this is free OS after all.
                    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

I have reloaded only 3 times and once was because I messed up. The other two was when I first installed fiesty beta then the official release. Both times I used the alternate cd and was able to install. After the install I had some videoa problems but once I got past that I have been able to get almost all things working. The only thing I am having problems with now is a couple of 32 bit apps that just give me an error and don't start :
                      "error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
                      I know the file is there because other apps find and use it. I have loaded the ia32 libs but still they won't load. I am not to worried about them because they are beta programs (firefox and thunderbird) I just happen to like them more then the installed versions.....
                      Ooooops I'm rambling.... Use the alternate and then we can work through any hassles you may have.

Comment

Working...
                      X