This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install

I am running Dapper now, but I want to make a clean install of 7.04.

However when I choose "Start or Install Kubuntu" from the CD boot menu, after all files have loaded I am taken to the command line and not a GUI installation wizard.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Re: How to install

I probably couldn't help you with this anyway, but it seems like some more information should be provided... What is the hardware you are running, and were there any error messages during boot? Anything else that seemed quirky?

Comment

I am installing it on a newer Core Duo laptop.

There were no errors during the "load phase" and everything seemed like it went as supposed to, but I am taken to a command prompt and not a gui wizard after everything is loaded.
      Could the CD be defect?

Thanks

Comment

What kind of video card are you using?

It looks like the cd doesn't like your card.

Depending on that you could try doing sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg ai the command promt. Then at the first screen "automaticly find card (or something to that extent) choose no. Then choose vesa and just say yes to the rest. That should boot into the gui.

But before installing I would check here with a search if your video card has any problems and if there are solutions.

I hope that helps

Cheers
        fintan
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I may be completely wrong, but have you tried

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

?
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I had a similar problem in 6.06. What I did to solve it was to use my DBAN (google it) cd and wipe the drive. After I did that it worked fine. I never had the problem again since on any machine on any version

You may want to try the check cd utility to make sure that the cd is good too. One other thing you can try is the alternate cd. I gave up on the live cd because most of the machines that I have installing it on have had ATI cards in them and it seemed to work a little better

Good luck and post your progress

Comment

OK, so I tried the Alternate CD, and I was unable to install ( I think). Partition was formatted to ext3 and all, but when I booted up I was taken to a commandline, not a GUI. After doing some ls's, I realized that the dir structure was there (opt, usr, home, etc) but all folders were empty.

So I downloaded the DVD version and tried installing using that one, but the install just took me to a blinking cursor and nothing else on the screen.

What should I do now? I have an ATI card, could that cause some of the trouble?

Should I format the partition(s) I am installing to with ext3 and try again?

I keep thinking the installer tries to load my old (failed) install, instead of doing a reinstall.
              How do I force a reinstall?

Thanks!

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

It looks like your ati card. Do: sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg ata command prompt and do not choose automated card detection. at the next screen choose vesa. Follow the rest throuhg. at the end type startx and pray
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I agree with Fintan -- I think it's the video card that is not being recognized/configured correctly. If you will, after logging in at the command prompt, give it
                    Code:
                    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                    and choose "no" for auto-detect on the first screen, and choose "VESA" for the display type on the second screen, and then choose the defaults, you should get a GUI desktop. If you know what screen resolution and refresh that you want, when you get to the screen resolution section of the script, just choose that one (but you won't have any others).

If it is a complete new installation on a hard drive or partitions that are presently empty, you should expect /home to be empty of all but hidden files. If you had an existing /home partition with data in it, then something is not being done correctly during the part of the installation routine where you set up the partitions and mount points. It will indicate "media/sda3" for example (assuming the third partition of the first hard drive is where you have your data), and you need to select that line, indicate that you want to change it, and change it to /home, for example, but NOT format it.

HTH

Comment

Thanks guys

I did a complete reformat of my drive and tried to install Kubuntu 7.04.

I still got to the command prompt after selecting "Start or install Kubuntu".

After typing "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", choosing 'vesa' and then all defaults like you said, I got thrown back to the command line when the "wizard" completed.

I don't understand this, it doesn't seem like I am actually installing. When I installed Kubuntu 6.06 last fall it went smooth as pie, just walked through a GUI-based installer.

What should I try?

Thanks!

Comment

Frustration!

It still sounds like a video display problem, but if the vesa display driver won't work, I'm rather out of helpful ideas. What is your graphics system? -- I have seen posts about difficulties with a couple of so-called "integrated" display chips -- not Nvidia or ATI cards, but some other chips -- can't recall the manufacturer's name. If you can determine the chip designation and search here and also on Ubuntu Forums, you may find information about special tweaks to xorg.conf to make that particular chip work with Feisty.

Sorry I don't have anything more definite for you .... :P

Comment

OK problem solved. After clearing my harddrive, doing a fresh Windows install, then doing a fresh Kubuntu FF install using the text-based isntaller and guided partitioning, I was able to get it running.

Now of course, I am having issues installing the right driver for my videocard: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082899.0

Thanks for all help!

Comment

Working...
                          X