This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.04 final grub critical error at the end of installation

today I decided to install final release of Kubuntu 7.04. I was happy to succesfully downloaded 700MB of data. setup of installation pass without any problem but at the end of installation I always got error:
    this is a grub critical error. I tried to install it 6-times but without succes always I got the same error.

I have 2 sata disc:
    sda 1st (sda1)partition windows, 2nd (sda5)partition my backup
    sdb 3rd (sdb1)partition my data, 4th (sdb5) & 5th (sdb6) partition for swap and linux

but hd0 grub install critical error make me crazy no previous release had this bad behavior

Re: Kubuntu 7.04 final grub critical error at the end of installation

What does the error say specifically?

Comment

it gives me this: criticall grub error (hd0) then click ok and installation is interupted

Comment

See if this will help and let us know.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=363355

Comment

hmm bad news .. it doesnt work > all previous rls work fine also Kubuntu 7.04 beta ... I dont know what is bad

all the time I got this http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?i...berror2iv7.png picture

command grub-install (hd0 fail)
          this is a critical error

Comment

I get the same problem.

running A8V deluxe, 3700+, fx 5600.

I have 2 sata disc:
            sda 1st (sda1)partition windows, 2nd (sda5)ext3
            sdb 3rd (sdb1)partition my data, 4th (sdb5) swap

Comment

It looks like the common factor is the SATA-only hard drive setups. Has anybody tried using the "Alternate" CD? It has, historically (prior versions), provided a better result for tricky hard drive combos, such as mine (1 PATA, 2 SATA). The alternate CD gives you some choices about exactly which partition is to get the Grub installation, versus just blindly pointing to "hd0" (which doesn't actually exist in your systems ...).

HTH

Comment

How about LILO ? Is it spossible to choose Lilo during installation ? (that's what I use, after having had many problems with GRUB).

Comment

LILO is a reasonable solution if Grub won't go. But the "alternate" installation CD should let you place Grub where you want it. You can choose ...

Comment

Fixed for me. moved all partitions to the first drive. (sda)

sda 1st(sda1) partition windows, 2nd(sda5) ext3 3rd(sda6) swap

Comment

but is there any other solution without formating and moving partitions? I dont want to lose my data and win xp partiton? neither using alternate install cd

Comment

I don't know. I've followed dibl's posst and most of those problems seem to not be an issue with the Alternate CD. Most of my tests have all been the upgrade path and not a fresh install. I do seem to remember that there is a way from the Live CD to tell GRUB where to install. I thought it was at the GRUB install point and there is an Advance button?? I'm not sure. If I run across it, I'll post a link to it here. Sorry I couldn't help further.

Comment

The advanced button comes up right after finishing partitioning manually.
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan! I knew I remember something like that.

Comment

I am very very disappointed with this new release wit this special issue. I tried do the same thing as abow but no succes

Comment

Working...
                              X