This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gusty Gibbon !!!

what do you all feel about the next linux distro what do you wish to be available on this new update I know you all want beryl to be installed and supported by default, what else

Re: Gusty Gibbon !!!

I don't exactly what is going to happen with GG but having read what is available it will be exciting.
    Beryl/compiz or whatever they will call themselves is nice but not nescesairy unless it is stable enough for a broad implementation.

Imho I think GG should definately have: (not in order of importance)
    - a working repair function (like suse) on thier install cd's (live and alt)
    - if we really need uuid's in our fstabs, pleeease make them work so I don't have to comment them out and use the standard hda/sda setup.
    - a nice clean and consistant bootup expierience from grub splash to login splash
    - an install partitioner and grub installer pclinuxos style with descriptives that make sense to everyone (especially newbies). You shouldn't have to go to a forum just to find out how to install. Most win users don't even know what a forum is about because they just are not used to it. Granted this is the BEST forum in the world but lets get the damn thing installed first.
    - a welcome screen after install that explains exactly what this forum can do for the new user from newbie to linux expert.
    - put some of the important kontrol stuff into K-> system configuration, like network manager including samba, etc.
    - samba, sambaclient, smbfs, etc installed by default including a usable gui (in the network manager) for configuring and setting up samba and shares within a physical or virtual network.

Thats all for now. Okay granted most of this stuff isn't very technical but is meant to enhance the user experience and thus let the kubuntu base grow.

But for now I'm just going to enjoy feisty
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

"- a welcome screen after install that explains exactly what this forum can do for the new user from newbie to linux expert."

Totally agree with you on this point, Fintan. It would be so good if a "noob" could see a list of regular problems (no sound, nvidia card won't work, adept is broken) and go straight to a solution. This is probably more a forum thing than a Gutsy one, but it would still be wonderful to see. Would cut down on the number of unnecessary posts as well.

My 2c.

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Thanks, lets just this makes it to the BOARD
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I agree they need to focus more on SAMBA and that they need to get the UUID part working way better than it does now.

Comment

Working...
          X