X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying /home

Background:

My production operating system is Kubuntu 6.10. I recently started a build of Feisty (Kubuntu V7.04).

Question:

Given that all of my app "settings" are fairly well establislished in K6.10, what's the downside of copying my 6.10 /home to my 7.04 /home? In theory, should make life a lot easier configuring and checking out Feisty w/o having to go through the drudgery of initializing settings fresh for each app.

Thanks,

IndyTim

Re: Copying /home

I have done it from Mandriva 10.1 -> Mandriva 2005 -> Mandriva 2006 -> Kubuntu 6.04 -> Kubuntu 6.06 (and then I change my laptop with little problem.

BTW, you should try to upgrade the distro instead of reinstalling. If everything goes well you will have all your old programs installed there, not only the settings.

Javier.

Comment

Thanks.

Will give it a "go".

Re. The upgrade issue, Feisty is not stable enough to use as my default ops. When it goes full release, then I'll checkout the full migration from 6.10 ->7.x

Thanks Again,

IndyTim

Comment

When you do try this path:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FeistyUpgrades

It worked great for me.

Good luck and enjoy

Comment

Ditto gandolf_ch

If you are using kde3.5.6 on edgy you shouldn't have too many problems with simply copying /home/user1 to /home/user2. But if not, it could break you feisty kde and that is not fun.

Seems to me the paths described above work pretty well. I have tried it and it worked fine.I had to uninstall automatix and all the stuff it installed from edgy though

Have fun

Cheers
          Fintan
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Same here. Upgrade went great and everything (other than the clock and Trash) were as I had them. Nothing further and after about 4 days, all is stable, even with Beryl installed.

Comment

Working...
            X