X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.10 or 7.04? (installed!)

Perusing the install forums here.

Abandoning my SuSE 9.1 and currently thinking of installing Kubuntu. While reading the install forum for 6.10 I'm wondering if 7.04 is stable enough to use as a platform yet? I basically just use OpenOffice 2.x and drift around on the internet. Should I just jump onto 7.04?

Seems to be some hair pulling in getting clean installs in 6.10

I'm running an older machine;
    ASUS a7v266 MBoard w/2 gigs ram
    NVidia card 256 M ram
    exist WD200 gig drive (Master Kubuntu)
    new Seagate 250 drive (slave Win XP)

Thanks
    Tim
    Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Re: 6.10 or 7.04?

All I can say is that the jump from suse 9.1 to kubuntu is a great leap into the future. Edgy is at it implies "on th edge" feisty even in its "still beta" version seems to be fast and stable, at least for me. wait a few days for the "official" release. Test it live and make your opinion.

Before installing I would suggest gparted for partitioning you hd's the way you want them.

As an ex-suse since 5.10 'till 9.2 kubuntu is a relief. This forum is great and you will never miss yast package mangement again.

Cheers, welcome and enjoy

Finatn
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi Fintan. Thanks for the reply.

I had jumped onto Linux back in 7.3 of SuSE. (jeeze 4 years ago?) Upgraded that to 9.1 couple years ago but needed to upgrade some hardware things on my home PC so I thought I might change distros as well. Data is already backed up.

I don't play around with it a lot - as in recompiling etc but I sure like not having things crash on me when I'm working on my linux platform.

I'm currently at work downloading Feisty's kubuntu-7.04-beta-desktop.iso. Your reply indicates Kubuntu is going to release the "official" version in a couple days? What's the ETA on that?

I do have GParted-Clonezilla 1.7 Live CD and absolutely love it. I also have Super Grub Repair .9950 and that seems to behave fairly well. Once GParted has created the partitions the way I want them - kubuntu's install still wants to "format" them. That kind of made me a little ticklish. Normal install I assume.

This is an awesome forum house. The SuSE forums are downright nasty sometimes and for us guys who only occasionally ask questions they have become a real annoyance.

Thanks!

Comment

I installed 7.04 about a week ago, and I have used it almost daily since that, only experiencing minor annoyances really, and no big problems. Opera web browser doesn't work without some tweaking, but there are guides on how to do that on the opera web site, and they are working to fix it. I guess it will work again shortly after the official release of 7.04.

I believe 7.04 is scheduled to be released on the 19th of April, but I haven't checked it prior to writing this post, so it might be wrong.

- Delphi

Comment

Originally posted by teastman
          This is an awesome forum house. The SuSE forums are downright nasty sometimes and for us guys who only occasionally ask questions they have become a real annoyance.

Thanks!
          I have had my expierences with those people in the past. That was a major reason for changing.
          I tried suse 10.2 and dumped it quickly when confronted with the "freindlies" on thier forum.

You are quite welcome. Yes the partitioner at install will want to format the partitions you have chosen it to do so. Go to manual and chose the partitions for /home, / (format that), swap, if there will be "seen", you can choose to format or not any other partitions you chose to mount.

Yeah, feisty "finished" should be out around the 19th. The beta will give you a lot upgrades after install and is very nice to you for a beta

Ceers
          Fintan

4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

You are quite welcome. Yes the partitioner at install will want to format the partitions you have chosen it to do so. Go to manual and chose the partitions for /home, / (format that), swap, if there will be "seen", you can choose to format or not any other partitions you chose to mount.
            The only thing that seems doesn't work in the installation paritioning/formatting is format a dos partiton. I tried both FAT16 and FAT32, but both failed. That is, failed formatting; the partition appear ready to format in XP, so it's no big deal, really.

Comment

Re: 6.10 or 7.04? (installed!)

Thanks guys - I installed kubuntu-7.04-Beta-desktop-i386 on a dual boot - two HD system last night.

Bees knees.

OMG that felt good in all the right places. 8)

Tim

Comment

Re: 6.10 or 7.04? (installed!)

Have a good one
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                X