X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chmod not working!?!

Hey Everyone

I have a 120 GB disk partitioned as Fat32, which I use for storage in both Kubuntu and Windows. So, in Linux it's called /dev/sda1 and it's mounted to /store, and that is working fine. But, when I try to change the permissions for the files and folders on the disk (to be able to delete files, copy files etc.) I can't.
    I've found out with "ls -l" that the directory /store has the permissions drwxr-xr-x. So, I try to change that with "sudo chmod 777 store". Nothing happens! (also tried "sudo chmod 777 /store") Normally, when using sudo, it would ask for the password, even if the command is non-existing, but in this case it doesn't. I tried the same procedure with the /var directory and that worked fine. Although, it didn't ask for password there neither.
    It's starting to get annoying that, I can't edit the files on my disk, so I'd really like some help...

Yours truthfully
    intEx

Re: Chmod not working!?!

I though FAT32 doesn't do permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by intEx
      the directory /store has the permissions drwxr-xr-x
      Which leads me to the assumption that the way the according file system is being mounted could and should be improved a little ... therefore, please let us know your system's feedback to both of the following console commands:

Code:
      more /etc/mtab | grep 'store' -
      more /etc/fstab | grep 'store' -

Comment

Results...

Well, that might be right, Unicorn. I configured the fstab myself, to make sure it would automatically mount the disk on boot-up. It's very possible that I've made a mistake. I am despite all, still a total noob.
        Here are the results:

intex@intex:~$ more /etc/mtab | grep 'store'
        /dev/sda1 /store vfat rw,sync 0 0
        intex@intex:~$ more /etc/fstab | grep 'store'
        /dev/sda1 /store vfat rw,auto,nouser,exec,sync 0 0

~intEx

Comment

Re: Results...

intex@intex:~$ more /etc/fstab | grep 'store'
          /dev/sda1 /store vfat rw,auto,nouser,exec,sync 0 0
          Tending towards minimalism, I'd suggest a change of the mount options to

Code:
          defaults,umask=000
          or, assuming that you're using only the default user account, alternatively to

Code:
          defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000
          ... further reading: man mount (there in particular: mount options for FAT)

Comment

Still nothing...

I tried changing the settings in fstab to the latter of your suggestions, but nothing changed. I still can't write to the disk. I also tried going into Konsole again, to try and change the permissions with chmod, after correcting the fstab. Still the same. I write "sudo chmod 777 store". It asks for password, which I provide it, and then it should be done. But, when I write "ls -l" again, the permissions are the same; drwxr-xr-x.
            Annoying!

~intEx

Comment

Just to be on the save side:

- Did you remount?

- chmod 777 /store

Comment

I'm pretty sure you've never (in previous versions of Linux I've used) been able to change permissions on a FAT32 mount point while it has a drive mounted on it. At that point, you're not trying to change permissions on the mount point, but on the mounted file system - and FAT32 doesn't support permissions so that's not going to work.
                Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Haha... =D

Okay, I admit it. I am a damn noob! I should be ashamed. Though it was just to be on the safe side, your comment was reasonable, Unicorn. I thought it would be enough to restart the X server, so I hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. It wasn't... When I had rebooted my com, it all worked fine, and I was able to read AND write on the disk. Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for being inconvenient =D
                  Anyway, I checked the directory with "ls -l" and, the permissions haven't changed. I find that a bit peculiar, so I think, I'd better read that link you gave me, Unicorn. It might just clear up what "uid=1000,gid=1000" means in the first place. =)

~intEx

Comment

Re: Haha... =D

"uid=1000,gid=1000"
                    Just hack id in a K/console and you'll get the point

Comment

Working...
                    X