X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sudo init 1 = freeze!!!

Hey Everyone

I was trying to stop my X server, to install the Nvidia drivers, and after reading a few forum topics and articles on the subject, I was ready to try. So, as first step in the process I opened Konsole and typed "sudo init 3". Nothing happened. By typing "runlevel" I found out that the runlevel really had changed to "3 3" (Whatever that means... I thought there was supposed to be one number, which indicated the current runlevel?!?), but I still had a graphical interface, so I figured the X server wasn't shut down yet. Therefore I wrote "sudo init 1" to get to the lowest runlevel. Then it went to a Kubuntu loading screen, and now it has frozen while loading. I don't know what to do, and I'm frightened to mess something up.

Yours sincerely
    intEx

Further details...

I couldn't wait anymore, so I tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, and after a few seconds, it rebooted. It booted, all normal, into Kubuntu, and everything was doing okay, but I still hadn't figured out my problem.
    I've tried other things since then. I've written "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop" which led me into a blank, black screen where I could just write. It made little sense though, because I couldn't use any commands or anything. Anyway, I also tried the "sudo init 1" command again, and it led me to the loading screen once more, and as before, the loading screen freezed at some point, near finishing whatever it was loading. I don't know what to do, because I need to get that Nvidia driver installed, and I haven't seen any other ways to shut down the X Server, than the ones I've already tried. Plus, I would like to know why it freezes. I guess it isn't supposed to =D

~intEx

Comment

Solution found!

I found out what to do (almost). Instead of changing the runlevel, I used Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get into the Konsole, and from there I shut down the X server with "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop". That solved my problem regarding the Nvidia driver.
      It is still weird, that it freezes, whenever I try to force it into runlevel 1 with "sudo init 1" through the Konsole, though.

~intEx

P.S. What am I exactly doing when hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1? It seems to me that it could be all the same, using Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Konsole.

Comment

Re: sudo init 1 = freeze!!!

Fast way to restart X is Cntrl+Alt+Backspace. That'll do it

Comment

Originally posted by intEx
          I opened Konsole and typed "sudo init 3". Nothing happened.
          Unlike other Linux distributions, KDM/KDE are allowed to run at runlevel 3 under Kubuntu. That's how it was in previous versions too - so your results were the normal by-design behavior.
          Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

3vi1: I get your point, but I only wrote that to say that, the command "sudo init 3" was working, as I tested it afterwards with the "runlevel" command. Just to tell that, I was pretty sure, it was not me making a mistake in Konsole.
            Thanks for the help, anyway...

~intEx

Comment

Working...
            X