Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goofy mount points for your CD/DVD drive, in Feisty?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goofy mount points for your CD/DVD drive, in Feisty?

I just did my second Feisty Beta installation in a week, and again got a strange result in the mount point that was assigned to my CD/DVD drive, which is a relatively new Asus IDE drive. This time, it is /media/floppy0, device found at /dev/fd0. Last time, it was /proc something-or-other. I can change it, but I'm wondering why/how the automatic installation would end up this way. By the way, it's the same drive being assigned both times -- I installed two different Feisty systems on different hard drives, for test purposes.

Anyone else observing strange mount points for their CD/DVD drives?

p.s. I actually do have a (never used) floppy drive --- I'm afraid to look where it might be mounted ....

Re: Goofy mount points for your CD/DVD drive, in Feisty?

Dibl

I've been doing more reading than working with the computer. I've found a magnificent book for DOS/WIN users in transition: Linux for Windows NT/2000 Administrators by Mark Minasi with Dan York and Craig Hunt; subtitled The Secret Decoder Ring. Mark Minasi possesses terrific knowledge and has that way of communicating that is a gift, not a learned trait. He is primarily a Windows IT. I have 2 more of his many books, one on administering Windows 2000 and one on XP. York and Hunt are Linux experts that go back to the 70s. I should have known to check for any Linux offering by Mark sooner than this. His books are are more than a good read. After a once or twice through, his books become the first choice for reference material for the appropriate OS. I cannot speak highly enough of his teaching syle.

Although the title seems dated, the information is not. He uses primarily Red Hat Linux for his comparison model, although he includes a CD with a complete copy of Mandrake 7.1 with the book. So the version of Linux is dated, but the basic understanding of the inner workings are presented in a style that advanced users of DOS can quickly translate into instant understanding of how things work in Linux. Then I use the book by Keir that you recommended to relate to (K)Ubuntu.

So it was that I began with Konsole to see directory structure, how devices are handled, etc.

I decided to try reading from a floppy by first mounting it, etc. I found that Kubuntu already had done that. When the floppy would not read, I remembered your post on goofy mount points for CD & Floppy. I looked it up, and sure enough, the mount points for my installation are exactly the same as yours. I also noticed that the CD acts quirky and skips sometimes while playing tunes.

I have not bothered with trying to examine further these issues with the full release being due out so soon, but thought you'd like to know you're not the only one who has this problem.

I remember from many frustrating experiences of calling DOS vendors to wait on hold for tech support for 30+ minutes, only to be turned away with a flippant, "Well, you're the only one who's had THAT problem..."

DWU

[Edit: Model of CD is ASUS DRW-1612BL 16x16 DVD +/- R Light Scribe]

[2nd Edit: BTW, in case you might have seen my post on Feisty - TWISTB; I did look into making the LAN connection work.
    That was as complicated as plugging in the CAT5e, going to Konsole and typing ifconfig, to see that all works as it should...]

Comment

Dible,

See this post. It is similar and has some points that I made regarding that exact same strangeness of the mount points.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

p.s. I actually do have a (never used) floppy drive --- I'm afraid to look where it might be mounted ....
      That is how I felt with my SWAP and CDROM

Comment

Wow thanks guys -- I'm feeling validated now ...

Of course we must understand that Feisty has been a work in process for these many weeks, and so I was not actually disturbed when I made the original post. The guys who are developing Feisty are way smarter than me, so I wait patiently for them to get it ready for release.

Today, my CD-ROM and floppy disk drive appear as follows in fstab:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
        /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

I don't know when it changed -- obviously one of the updates or upgrades have fixed the "goofy" problem -- I certainly have not touched fstab.

Thanks for the feedback! 8)

Comment

It is the change to libata, which can handle sata, PATA[ ide), and everything else that does this.
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibAtaForAta...t=%28libata%29
          This is also why there is a UUID for devices, especially with more widespread use of external drives and SATA. Theoretically, you are supposed to be able to move your drives around on the chain and they would not loose their mount points as it would 'in the old days'. I myself don't intend to try and find out, at least until I get SATA hardware or an external drive.

I also understand that if you wish to do things manually, the regular hda, etc is still usable in the fstab.

Comment

Any reason why my SWAP UUID didn't carry over? I couldn't use it anymore and has to change fstab to point to its Device ID (/dev/sda5). It was no problem, I was following what it was doing at each mount point I was commenting out, it was just strange. I even had the hdaX in some of my mounts is fstab, it seemed to confuse it. Once I changed everything to sdaX it seemed to be fine. Anyway, can you let me know if I need to uncomment proc?

Comment

you should, that will be necessary at some point I think
              http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/proc.5.html

Comment

Thanks! Reading now.

Comment

Working...
                X