This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to 7.04 from 6.10 Newbie

I was wondering if someone could basically just walk me through the steps to upgrade from kubuntu 6.10 to 7.04. I read the install on the main page, but I just don't get changing the adept-repositories and all that. I'm a major newbie, and I just need a step by step walkthrough. Thanks.

Re: Upgrading to 7.04 from 6.10 Newbie

Hi,

Don't know how if this will work for you but all I did was to edit my /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced all the "edgy" with "feisty" (make a backup of the file first).
    Then I ran "sudo apt-get update: and fixed any problems that came up first (like needing keys or sites not found). Kept running it till it ran clean.
    Then I did "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and sat back for awhile. That was it. I must admit that that is probably not the way to go. It maybe just easier to wait till the "official" release is released this month, burn the cd and then just install it that way.
    YMMV............

Comment

how do u go about doing it the official way that kubuntu.org describes, through adept manager?

Comment

Hmmmm you got me there. I do most of the administration from the command line (old school).
        Sorry.

Comment

Maybe I am a victim of using windows too long before switching, but I always do a fresh install to make sure that there isn't any little pieces left over that can cause problems. It has worked well so far. I have been using kubuntu since 6.06

Comment

Not sure if this is what you have read already but it is very simple to follow.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FeistyUpgrades

If you are pretty new to Linux you might do well to wait a couple of weeks for the final version. A lot less aggravation and sick-in-the-stomach feelings when things don't go well.

Cheers

Lowey
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
            X