This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Installation Help

Currently running vista ultimate 64bit 6.0.6000 RTM build. and well looking for something new. Used knoppix a lot in the past for wifi capabilies. I have downloaded kubuntu and ubuntu 6.10 32 and 64bit and did the boot from cd method and seletected the first open to start the os or install the os. then it would start the loading screen and then either the computer would stop doing anything first or the cd would just stop spinning and the loading bar would stop.

AMD x2 4800 939 socket
    sapphire radeon x1900xtx
    2gb of ddr400 pc3200 dual channel
    1 sata1 160gb hd
    1 sata2 160gb hd
    sound blaster xfi platinum soundcard.

Re: Need Installation Help

I was never a big fan of 6.10 Try the alternate cd and see if you have any luck with that. You can also try 7.04 alternate install. It is still beta, but I think it has a bit better support for some devices. The full version is close to release. I am really impressed with all of its ability. I haven't tried the 64 bit, but I have the 32 bit installed on my 64 processor that is nearly identical to yours and it is really nice. Also, do a little reading on the forums about the ati card install. Some don't have any problems some do. I have an x850XT radeon and couldn't get it to work with the good drivers on 6.10 but 7.04 it works rather nicely.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Taking a 1/2 step back, boot to your LiveCd. There you should see an option something like "Check CD". Select that option and let it run. If it comes up good, then your LiveCD is ok and you've eliminated that as a possible reason why you can't install.

IndyTim

Comment

Could be some items of interest here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=398173

Comment

Working...
        X