X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore Freespire to Grub

Hello all;

I am trying Kubuntu for the first time. I've played with Freespire some, but I am still very, very new to the Linux scene.

As expected, after installing Kubuntu, I can to longer log onto Freespire. I can still get to Windows ok.

I think that I am supposed to modify /boot/grub/menu-normal.lst - but I'm not exactly sure what I should put in it. I have a 100gb hard drive with 3 partitions. The first is Windows, the second is Freespire, and the third is Kubuntu (with some linux-swaps mixed in)

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

SteveJ

Re: Restore Freespire to Grub

There are many ways of doing this in Grub and I would suggest reading up on Grub either way. I have done this often in the past and find this path to pose the least problems.
    When you are in Feisty ( I have only done this in edgyn but it should work) mount your freespire partition. You can do this in system controls-> advanced->harddisks->administrator mode and right clicking on said partition and editing/activating it.

Now in Konqueror navigate to /media/"freespirepartition"(hdax)/etc/boot/grub/menue.lst right click here and go to actions->edit as root. This will open menue.lst now copy the lines which refer to booting freespire (you don't need the memtest as you already have one). Now navigate to the same file in feisty (/ directory) and paste those lines (again as edit as root) at the bottom of your menue.lst (before the windows boot lines).

Now at reboot you should have freespire in your boot list and be able to boot freespire.

I hope that helps and good luck
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
    X