This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X won't start

I just got a new laptop (woohoo), and I'm trying to install Feisty herd 5, but not having any luck. I also tried installing Dapper (with the same troubles). I used the alternate install CD to install, and everything went great till it restarted. First I had the following error (which I thought might be why X didn't start):
    Code:
    bcm43xx: error: microcode "bcm43_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
    which I fixed with this:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/329

But X still would not start, normally, or by me typing startx. Please help. I have attached the X log.
    Attached Files

Re: X won't start

Could try this as a first effort:

Load the OS in recovery mode and at the prompt type dpkg --configure -a which ought to sort out any dodgy installation of x.

Then type startx. That help?

Ian

Comment

Nope. Same result.

Comment

Try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". This will reconfigure X. (For most of the options, you just want to hit enter.)

You might also want to check out /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see if anything looks funky there.
        For external use only.

Comment

That worked! Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to get it to hold onto the correct resolution.

Comment

If you mean that you have to change the resolution often (e.g. by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Plus/Minus), then go to K Menu > System Settings > Display, setting it first in administrator mode, then in normal (user) mode.
            For external use only.

Comment

I believe your card (the Intel 945GM) requires the package 915 resolution. It should be available via adept.

After installation reboot.

Ian

Comment

Thanks! The 915 resolution package worked like a charm. I'm at my 1440x900 resolution now without a problem.

Here is another difference between Windows and Linux, I posted a question to the Microsoft Communities about a problem - and I'm still waiting for someone to help me, but I posted a question here and not only has everyone been nice, but the problems have been corrected.

Thank you to everyone

Comment

Het Mythos, good you have it working now.
                  The module that you mentioned in your first post (bcm43xx) is a module for a wireless chipset. The native driver is known to have problems and it is best if you blacklist it.

Comment

Working...
                  X