This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS

Hello you people. I'm from Venezuela, so please my apologies if my writing English is no so good.

I have a Motherboard Intel D946GZIS Essential Series, an Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3.4Ghz. 1GB RAM, DVDs and Cd's writers, and 120Gbs SATA Western Digital Hard Disk.

I used Kubuntu 6.10 with no problems and yesterday i heard about the new kubuntu 7.04, so i decided to upgrade my OS.

When i reboot my PC with the new Kubuntu i get the next message:

[17179571.988000] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknowm-block (0,0).

I upgrade my bios in order to try resolve the problem and nothing.

I restart again my machine with the old kernel and goes fine.

Would you please help me?. Thanks a lot.

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3080731.0

Comment

By amazing coincidence, I was receiving the same error message (except mine said "(1,3)" instead of "(0,0)") this morning.

However, in my case it was not due to the recent kernel update. Things became clearer after I tried to boot from the Kubuntu Live CD, and Knoppix Live CD, and received the same (or a similar) error for each.

A brief memory-test later and I confirmed my fears that one of my modules had gone bad - creating the error. After I yanked it, everything booted fine.
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I had the same problem when i updated...
        Try going to the old kernel, open Konsole and insert the following code:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

it might take a while, but it worked for me.

Comment

Working...
        X