Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alternate cd setup skips user account name creation Solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternate cd setup skips user account name creation Solved!

I have searched through the forums to find an answer to this but don't see anything like this anywhere. I am trying to install herd5 with the alternate cd and when it gets time to create a user name and password it skips the user name part of it and go to the password set up. As you may understand, the right password without a user name doesn't do me any good. I have checked to make sure that the cd didn't have any errors on it and it was burnt on a very slow speed so I am pretty sure that it isn't a cd problem but I could be wrong.

I have tried to boot with the cd again and recover a broken install and then I get the cue asking for the user name. I enter a user name and pass and when I reboot it fails the logon. Anyone have any ideas? I am open to suggestions.

Re: alternate cd setup skips user account name creation

Since you can boot into the LiveCD, try mounting the Kubuntu partition (assuming it's the first one and an SATA drive, 'mount -r /dev/sda1', or, if it's an IDE drive, 'mount -r /dev/hda1'), then going to /etc and opening the file "passwd". Your account is the one with the number 1000 as the third value. (The first value is your username.)
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: alternate cd setup skips user account name creation

Thanks for your quick reply. In between the post and now I burnt the image again and noticed something that I hadn't before. There is an oem setup on the cd that I may have clicked on. If I understand this right, it creates a blank image and allows the user to set their own accounts up from the startup.

Thinking that this might have been what I may have clicked I did a complete reinstall to make sure that it wasn't the problem. It worked correctly this time.

So note to anyone using the alternate cd, if you click on the oem install it wall ask you to do the user setup after.

Comment

Re: alternate cd setup skips user account name creation Solved!

Ah. I've never used the alternate CDs.

By the way, that option ("OEM" means "original equipment manufacturer") is for companies to pre-install Kubuntu. Just FYI.
        For external use only.

Comment

Re: alternate cd setup skips user account name creation Solved!

I started using the alternative cds because I have a nightmare ATI card at home that I can't get to work any other way. It will be my last ati card unless driver support gets better. The support for other cards is so much better for nvidia. IT would be different if ati could at least put out a good windows driver but it has been a long time since they did that right. I always try to get the best card for the money but the last 2 cards have been a nightmare to get configured even in windows. Time to give nvidia a turn.

Comment

Working...
          X