This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot from LiveCD (Herd 5)

I've confirmed the MD5 checksums, just to get that out of the way.
    Now, I can successfully load the menu from the LiveCD, and I can choose boot/install, check CD, etc. If I choose either to check the CD or to boot, it will load up to the point where I see a Kubuntu logo with a bar underneath with a block bouncing back and forth. After the first bounce (for booting), it'll freeze, and the CD drive will spin down in about a minute. If I choose to check the CD, it bounces once or twice, then the same thing happens.
    I can't boot with this CD on my Windows machine, either. Same problem, except the little block doesn't stop bouncing.

Incidentally, I also had these problems with an Edgy CD, and those were never resolved either.

By the way, I'm using Smart Boot Manager and memdisk.bin. This is the how-to I was using.

This is an Intel Pentium D processor (2.66 GHz, dual core) and an ECS C19-A motherboard (Manufacturer product page).

EDIT: The Windows Machine successfully checked the CD for errors. It reported "0 checksums failed".
    For external use only.

Re: Can't boot from LiveCD (Herd 5)

It's most likely this:
    ACPI is a new method of power control that is used in most new computers especially those with "legacy free" BIOSes. If the boot hangs trying to configure hardware, this is a likely cause. In some cases this problem can be overcome by using the boot option acpi=off.

I can't boot with this CD on my Windows machine, either.
    Could be a bad burn............I assume you used 4x or less

Comment

I'll try it with the the acpi=off option.

But on the burn, I don't think it's bad. K3b verified after burning and didn't report anything (other than that they seem to be identical). K3b burned at 42x speed or thereabouts (CDs are labeled 48x, drive supports 52x), so you think that might have caused problems?
      For external use only.

Comment

You definitely burned the cd at too high a rate.As boohbear mentioned try to burn at 4x or less.

Comment

I'll try burning at a slower rate after I try acpi=off. Which leads me to my question: where do I put this?
          For external use only.

Comment

Oookay, burned a new copy at 4x speed, specifying acpi=off as the last option (before the --) by hitting F6 at the LiveCD menu. Same thing happens (on both computers), although it shows "Loading..." a little longer before it switches to the pretty screen with the bouncing block (which then proceeds to stop bouncing).

EDIT: By the way, do you think it'd be a good or a bad idea to use dist-upgrade? I'm currently running Kubuntu Dapper, and I'm planning to skip Edgy and go right to Feisty, as I've heard almost exclusively bad things about Edgy.
            For external use only.

Comment

I think it may be something else. I burned my copy of Herd5 with K3B @ 24x and it boots fine for several of my test laptops. However, when I try to get it to run on my desktop system I have major problems and never get to the Boot Splash. What I have found that each and every time that this happened, I never can get into my main install of Kubuntu (system continually reboots when choosing Kubuntu) and have to go to my Windows Install (boots fine). It is at this point I noticed (the each and every time part) my Strobe Pro does not work and I have to unplug and replug it for it to work in Windows. When I reboot and go to my Kubuntu install, it loads. I haven't tried the Herd5 without the Stobe Pro. When I do, I'll write here what happens. I know this doesn't help your situation, but maybe it will help knowing your not the only one experiencing odd problems.

************************************************** ***************************

Well it's not the Scanner. It's because my Hard Drive is SATA, I think. Seems as though I read around here somewhere that Feisty is having difficulties with SATA. Hope that is fixed before release.

Comment

Edgy did it too, so I don't know... will try a Dapper CD to see if that works (assuming the problem wasn't introduced since then).
                For external use only.

Comment

Edgy and Feisty installers both have trouble with SATA drives, in the presence of an IDE/PATA drive, but I've not heard that you can't boot the live CD. I think you've something else going on. I'm guessing it's something video-related, or else wireless card-related. Try it in "safe graphics" mode, and if that doesn't work try hitting F6 "other options" and give it a "irqpoll". I'm just tossing out guesses here -- I hope one of them hits close to helping.

Comment

First -- Is that a new feature with the forum? I never received a notice about a response before. Seen it in other places I use, but not here. That is really nice!!

Any way, Dapper works great on the machine with SATA, even the video (Live CD and Installed). It has no wireless card. So I'm really at a loss. What does "irqpoll" output? I tried safe graphics mode and the same thing happened. Since it always seemed to effect my scanner, could it be the USB HUB I'm using? The HUB is v1.1 and is self powered. Same here about the guesses.

Comment

What version k3b you using?
                      Their have been reported intermittent issues with 0.12.17 on burning iso disks.

Comment

Change acpi=off to noacpi ?

Comment

I'm using K3b 0.12.17, though if the problems are intermittent, I shouldn't be seeing them on all 4-5 ISOs I've burnt... should I?

Anyway, this motherboard doesn't have integrated video. I haven't seen any problems with video output, though (except the TV out, but I haven't set that up yet). I don't have a wireless card.

Summary of my drives: one SATA drive (primary hard drive) and one IDE CD drive.

Next up: trying "safe graphics", followed by "noacpi", then "irqpoll".
                          For external use only.

Comment

Okay, this might be helpful.

I tried "safe graphics", got nothing. Hard reboot. Hit F6 and added "noacpi", and it occurred to me to remove the options "quiet" and "splash" to see if that printed anything useful. I got this at the end:

BUG: NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU0, eip c02eb2d2, registers:
                            Modules linked in: ()
                            For external use only.

Comment

I'll put this in here but you will have to decide for yourself if you want to try it.

I am posting this as a knowledge and idea item. This is at your discretion.

First I'll start with a question so let this get an answer by someone before proceeding.
                              I assume with kubuntu live disk is compressed? Someone answer this please.

All the other live disks I've used have been. I have seen in a few instances in which these newer disk drives would have trouble reading the compression and that person try a different drive and it worked.
                              few=4 different instances that I recall.

Comment

Working...
                              X