This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Impressive!!!

Guys, I have to say that Feisty is great. Haven't tested until HERD 5. This is by far the best KUBUNTU I've tried. Can't wait until the final release.

One question for anyone. Will there be a friendlier upgrade path? When I went from 6.06 to 6.10, it was very hmmm, well it was a down right pain. I do admit that was the first time I tried upgrading from one install to the next. In the past I just re-installed. I'm fairly entrenched with Kubuntu now and don't want to go either path again.

Re: Very Impressive!!!

Well i dont know how you upgraded. i think it is possible to just replace the word edgy with the word feisty in the repository and run sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and have a feisty system.

If what i did is not an upgrade please say so, always learning

Comment

That's not the best idea, assuming that that retrieves the Feisty-designated packages. I think you're supposed to dist-upgrade first, but I'm not sure.
      For external use only.

Comment

My Kubuntu system has never run faster or more stably than with Herd 5.

I ran Edgy since it was released in October, which I broke many times while mastering my Nvidia card, Beryl, and other assorted abuses. I waited until Feisty, Herd 4, and installed it from the CD. It had some problems -- I upgraded to Herd 5 as soon as it became available. With the subsequent updates, it has gotten more and more stable -- the only problem that I know of today is that my ATA CD/DVD drive doesn't work. It's a known bug -- I'm sure it will be fixed. But everything else including Beryl is just flying -- I like this system very much!

Comment

See this link: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuDistUpgrade

Comment

Following this wiki was a breeze - thanks, and that onto an external USB install. Most impressed. Greg
            PS. If anyone was confused by the repository advice, like I was, I had to add the following 2 lines to the sources.list
            deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-proposed main restricted
            deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-proposed main restricted
            by running KATE as root
            run
            sudo kate
            in a terminal and the sources.list is in /etc/apt/

Comment

i am having an endless amount of trouble with the upgrader... for some reason it couldn't install a lot of packages (including the kernel) and the it just crashed on me...

now running dpkg --configure -a to see if i can make it work...

Comment

Working...
              X