This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report from the edge ...

... of Feisty, that is. Herd 4 is up and configured and looking very stable here. Here's the installation report, and a couple of "no can do's" for anyone who is interested:

Platform -- Intel Core 2 X6800 CPU, Intel 975XBX mainboard, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Ge7900GS video card, dual WD SATA 150GB hard drives, Samsung Syncmaster CRT monitor. Win XP is installed in a 12 GB partition which is the boot partition on one of the drives.

First, the dual SATA drives (or perhaps any SATA drive with no IDE drive present) seems to present quite a challenge to the partitioning routine in Feisty. I thought it was troublesome in Edgy, but that was easy compared to this! I did the basic partitioning and file system definitions in advance with the GParted Live CD, which I recommend. The Feisty Alternate CD partitioner became VERY confused at the SATA drives -- it saw the partitions and the file systems, but the routine in which you set the /, /home, and /{swap} partitions went loopy and I found myself doing a tapdance on the "Enter", "Tab", and "Esc" keys, trying to get it to present me with the necessary screen. It didn't help that the "Space" bar, which was stated to select a menu item, didn't.

Side note -- Win XP has some trouble with SATA-only systems too, apparently. I noticed that it thinks it is installed on drive H:.

Once it yielded to my keyboard-beating and let me set the home, swap, and root partitions, things went considerably better. I accepted the default Grub installation location, which I think was the boot partition on the drive where Win XP is.

Upon first bootup, the Adept Manager needs to be reset for Feisty, with "sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade". Upon doing this, there was quite a long routine of updating the packages list. I intended to install the new Nvidia driver using my favorite method which is Alberto Milone's "Envy" script, but found he isn't supporting Feisty yet -- he's waiting for the full release of Xorg 7. So, I discovered that Nvidia has a reasonable installation utility on their website now, with instructions. I download the file and followed the instructions to install the utility. The first time I attempted to use it, it reported a missing package that it requires, so I aborted, went to the Adept Manager, got the package installed, and then went back to the Nvidia driver installation routine. The second time it went all the way through correctly. As a result, I have the -9746 driver and xserver utility. The "Coolbits" overclocking option had to be set manually in xorg.conf (same as before).

lm-sensors still works fine, after doing a sensors-detect routine.

For some reason, the CUPS printer installation routine had a problem when I attempted to send the "Test" page to my printer, and put up a "Catastrophic Failure" message, which apparently was a bit of hyperbole. The printer is, in fact, set up correctly and prints just fine from OpenOffice word processor.

Beryl packages for Feisty indicate "Broken" -- I guess I'll have to cool my heels a bit to have that capability again -- I'll miss spinning my cube around to get to the windows on the other side.

At some point, I found after a reboot a second set of kernels listed on my Grub menu -- these are the 2.6.20-5 386 version. I did not ask for them and don't know why or how they got installed -- I'll be commenting them out on the Grub list. The generic kernel is working great -- shows both CPUs, and 3.2 GB of my RAM, same as before.

Still no native support for my Logitech USB web cam, so I'll be installing the gspca driver again.

That's the report -- color me happy with Feisty (and anxious for Beryl again).

Re: Report from the edge ...

I too am very happy with Feisty and am looking forward for Beryl/XGL packages that work with Feisty. I have tried all the work a rounds with no luck. Guess I should think about nVidia card as I am ATI. The down side is that I had a chance to really enjoy Beryl on Edgy and don't know if I can wait for Feisty/Beryl. I have a tendency of getting in too deep and messing up my system. Nice work on Feisty.

Comment

Re: Report from the edge ... Update on ATI/Beryl

I have Beryl running with AIGLX on my ATI 9600 SE. All I did was sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and the only thing I changed was the modules that load (dri, vbe, freetype, glx, etc...) Just selected them all and restarted x. Ran Beryl manager and badaboom badabing.

Comment

Working...
      X