X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing with large pauses

Wow, that's something new.

After trouble when partitioning with the standard CD image I downloaded the alternative installer CD. To say it right at the start, partitioning worked with it ... but the way to this step was very long.

The dialogue says "Detecting Hardware" and goes through to 100%, then it goes away and nothing happens. I'm allowed to stare at the blue screen for 3 minutes.

Then it continues with by the dialogue "Detecting network hardware" coming up. But my hopes for a smooth install instantly vanished again since it hangs again, at 0% for 3 minutes.

After detecting my hardware and configuring the IPs the alert "Detecting disks and all other hardware" comes up but hangs at 0% for 3:17 minutes this time. After that it scans through, closes and hangs again at the blue screen. For 3:20 minutes this time.

Starting the partitioner takes "only" 40 seconds and I'm able to configure partitions. But after closing the dialogue ... it hangs for 3:12 minutes before writing out the partition tables and formatting.

At this point I gave up and resetted the system.

This is always the same regardless which boot option I chose.

Just to test I created a virtual machine in VMware on Windows and tried to install Kubuntu with the alternative CD. Basically with the same results, only the hangs were about 5 minutes (not clocked them this time).

That was an interesting experience, never saw those hangs before, neither using Debian sarge installer nor the Herd3 standard CD.
    Hey developers, go back to your desks and rewrite the stuff. >

Robert

Re: installing with large pauses

It's a confirmed issue: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/000243.html

There's a workaround mentioned there too.

"Hey developers, go back to your desks and rewrite the stuff."

What do you think they're doing? Sitting around and twiddling their thumbs waiting for Kubuntu to finish itself? :P

Comment

Originally posted by OuchOfDeath
      It's a confirmed issue: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/000243.html

There's a workaround mentioned there too.
      That seems to do it. Though I've to ask why pcmcia is probed every now and then throughout the installation.

"Hey developers, go back to your desks and rewrite the stuff."

What do you think they're doing? Sitting around and twiddling their thumbs waiting for Kubuntu to finish itself? :P
      To be honest, yes, something like that.
      That timeout bug and thost mentioned in my previous post are showstoppers and I stumbled over a bunch of them in less then five minutes.
      Having to watch a dozend mailinglists and forums only to survive the installation isn't very pleasing.

Robert

Comment

G'day, Robert

As you know, the Herd releases are still in development, as you would have read on the appropriate page.

Quote:
        NOTE: This is an alpha (pre-) release. Pre-release version of Feisty are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of Feisty ARE recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

The developers are developing, and the testers are testing.

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I forgot to mention this in my other post "finally got his guy installed" maybe I was so happy to get it installed in the first place that this little episode left my mind.

I went a bit like this:
          Using the alt install cd i got to the partitioner without a hitch. Then I got his choice of how to use the partitioner:
          Guided-resize cd-rom retriever and use freed space.
          Guided- use entire Hardisk
          Guided- use entire Hardisk and configure LVM

Well since I wasn't going to use the entire HD I decided for 0
          and got a partition screen which made no sense what so ever. Whatever you choose here something wierd happens, and it was scary.
          So after going back and forth a few times the usual patition screen came up where i could choose and assign partitions as i wanted. From here on in it was install as usual.

As this was the first fiesty that actually got me to the partitioning phase I was happy enough.

Even agreeing that this an alpha with all the problems and bugs that go along with that, please developers, get the install routine working accross the board. This after all is the only way people can test the os.

What do those choices at partition mean? For me they are saying the same thing a 0 (what dos that mean?).
          Why not keep the old routine:
          Use complete HD.
          Use free space on HD (or something to that effect)
          Manual Partitioning

Or if you have to change it, make it understandable for everyone.
          This is a scary part of any installation. Make it as painless as possible.
          For reference see the pclinuxos installer.

I respect the developers greatly and love the product, but imagine M.Schumacher getting into his new F1 car to test, and the engine doesn't start. I don't think he would be a happy cruiser.

That said, good luck and thank you all for your efforts.

Cheers
          F

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X