This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying to an SD memory chip

I purchased 2 digital photo frames with 1Gb SD chips. I am loading them as Christmas presents so I have a time problem. I am using Konqueror to copy a selection of jpg images to each chip. The chip registers as empty and with 1 Gb of empty space. I have 420 images adding up to about 740Mb. I start the copy and all seems to go well, but once I get approximately 1/3 of the chip capacity full I start getting "unable to write file-name" and it stops. I check the capacity and it shows 1/3 full with, thus, lots of empty space. I've tried both chips I purchased and no luck. Anyone got an idea?
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Re: Copying to an SD memory chip

I dunno -- the fact that files copy to the SD chips suggests there's nothing wrong with the chips or the connection to your computer.

The error may or may not describe the actual problem -- it seems to suggest there's a problem with a particular file or file name. Have you attempted to "skip" that file? In other words, "safely remove/eject" the chip, restart Konqueror, plug the chip back in, and then see if you can copy just one more file that is not the one that generated the error. Like the last one in list of files not yet copied. If that works, try another.

Comment

It appears to be solved. I did try to skip the files, but kept getting the same message. It appears that 171 objects at the root level is a limit for these chips. If I transfered a folder full of the images it went clean and fast. If I tried to transfer just the jpgs at root level it always stopped at 171 files, no matter what the size of the files. I had success moving the folder so I'm OK. The digital picture frames are cool. Thanks for the reply anyway.
      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Interesting -- I didn't know that! Thanks for posting your discovery.

Comment

FAT16 vs. FAT32

(FAT16 holds a maximum of 512 entries, and the limit can be even lower due to the use of long file names in the root folder).
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X