This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHCP Printer under Feisty Fawn

I have two boxes--one running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn and one running Windows XP. I also have two network printers, which are connected to my Linksys router. Under Dapper Drake I had no trouble at all printing to either printer from either computer. They were set up with FIXED IP addresses, 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.110, respectively.

It may be coincidental, but since I have upgraded to Feisty Fawn, the Windows XP box has had trouble reaching the HP OfficeJet 7210: I would have to power the printer off, then on, before I could print a job. And this happened each time. There was no trouble reaching the HP LaserJet 6mp, which was working through a small print server. In fact, if I put each FIXED printer IP address into a browser on the Windows XP box, it would go to the LaserJet 6mp print server both times! and not to the HP OfficeJet 7210! In the meantime, I had no trouble printing to either printer with the Kubuntu box.

Finally, I set up the HP OfficeJet 7210 as a DHCP printer, and told the Windows box to "print to this printer even if the IP address is changed." It worked fine and I've had no trouble with it since then.

But my Feisty Fawn box...that's another story. So far as I know, there is no equivalent option in Kubuntu to "print to this printer even if the IP address is changed." I set the Kubuntu printer definition up at the DHCP IP address. And as long as the IP address does not change, I'm OK. But what do I do when the IP address changes?

Is there a secret to setting up a network printer under Kubuntu Feisty Fawn as a DHCP printer? What have I overlooked in setting up this printer definition?

Thanks for any guidance.
Working...
X