This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System reboots unexpectedly - need help with logs

My system (running Feisty, fully updated) will suddenly reboot with no apparent reason. It appears to do so after displaying some emails with graphics, some web pages and after printing some documents using CUPS from Adobe Reader. I realize that you don't have much to go on (cpu, mainboard, video card, etc) but I don't have it at my finger tips.

What I need help is with reading the logs to see if I can find the problem myself or at least determine what component might be the culprit. I do know that I have 1 GB RAM with about 600 MB free RAM, so that MIGHT not be the issue. I've ruled out overtemp, etc. and stuff in the BIOS. That all appears normal. This is a new system, all parts are new. Not that that means that all parts are working but I might not have the right drivers, etc.

Where do I look? What logs should I examine?

Any help would be appreciated.

bnebb

Re: System reboots unexpectedly - need help with logs

I have seen computers behave this way when a power supply was failing. Usually happens when a hard drive is in heavy use. Not sure if this is your problem or not. It may not be the OS. Maybe if you tried running a live CD and see if it reboots that would help.

David

Comment

spotslayer is exactly right -- I've seen many cases, too, including my own failed P/S once. The symptoms can be subtle and misleading and inconsistent.

As for logs:

dmesg System message buffer. The first command you should run on re-boot after getting a kernel panic.
      Also logs: at /var/log/dmesg, along with other logs.

And a few helpful commands:

/sbin/lsmod Loaded modules (device drivers)
      /sbin/modinfo somemodule Shows more info about somemodule.

lspci Shows information about all devices on the PCI bus

lsusb Shows info about all your devices on the USB. -v (verbose) optional (may give too much info!).

df -h -T How much drive space is left? It will give you all the info you need.
      partition,file format,size, used, unused, available, percent used, mount point.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I agree. This is very likely a hardware problem of some sort.

The power supply would be a key suspect.

You say your temps look good. If you are overclocking your system I would set things back to defaults and see if it is stable.

I think the idea of a using the livecd is a good one or, even better, a livecd of another distro.

Comment

I appreciate the info. I looked at dmesg log and found nothing which glares at me. Checked some of the other logs with the same result. I think that I'll replace the power supply on spec and see if the problem clears up. I have experienced a similar problem on windows but it was much more regular. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the replies.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

bnebb

Comment

Let us know if you find a solution.

Comment

You might as well rule out AC power fluctuations. Are you connected to a surge protector? If not, I would do that first - it's cheaper than just replacing your power supply initially - and a good investment. I short spike or drop in power could be enough to trip your PC into rebooting without you seeing anthing in your environment (lights, etc) being affected.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Properly, every PC should have an uninterruptable power supply (UPS)--which, practically, gives you standby power supply, too. Even an APC model on-sale for $50 would be better than nothing.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by bnebb

I think that I'll replace the power supply on spec and see if the problem clears up.
                  I would replace the PS with a new one OVER spec. PS specs are notoriously "optimistic", and the extra cost of 75 or 100 watts more is negligible, especially if you're going to go through the bother of doing the replacement. Just make sure the mechanical layout is a match to the old one.

Comment

Working...
                  X