This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu does not see my NTFS drive

You can either run kate kmenu -> utilities -> kate, which is the standard text editor in kde and open /etc/fstab (that is fstab is a file in the etc directory which is just off of root) or, the faster option to just look at the file open a terminal window
    kmenu -> System -> konsole copy and paste the results of

Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    You can copy in terminal window by simply dragging your mouse over what you want to copy, as you do in windows, and right clicking and choosing copy.

If you are unfamiliar with the directory structure in linux you might want to open konqueror and, in the address bar type simply a forware slash /
    This will show you your root directory. All other directories are off of this.

A generic linux file directory structure tutorial, such as this will cover the basics of key directories:

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/...ilestruct.html

Comment

Ok here ya go guys:

david@P4:~$ cat /etc/fstab
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # Entry for /dev/hda1 :
      UUID=e46e7d2e-949e-4e9e-9bdb-b091afe77ef2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
      # Entry for /dev/hda5 :
      UUID=1817b41c-ed5c-4780-ad08-150a9cb14a72 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
      /dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
      /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
      /dev/hdb1 /media/dev/hdb1 nfs users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
      david@P4:~$

Comment

Try changing

Code:
        /dev/hdb1 /media/dev/hdb1 nfs users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        to

Code:
        /dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 ntfs-3g user,atime,auto,rw,dev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        and see what it does. (2 notes: I'm not an expert, and just copy & paste )

Edit: I believe these instructions will work, if not, somebody correct me; I don't have an ntfs formatted drive to play with here, I've just messed with them on another system.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Sweet, given it a shot and will give you feed back. Thanks!

Comment

Looks right to me. Make sure the user is a member of the "fuse" group, too.

Comment

Workin' on it
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

from tomorrow on, reading/writing from/to NTFS should be easy as 7.10 Gutsy supports it, right?

So I you are able to upgrade, your problem should also be solved.
                Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Is Gusty 7.10 stable enough? The way they talk its at your own risk. Let me know your feed back on this. If you say not its a problem I will. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I really wouldn't know and I am not able to test it by lack of NTFS filesystems (and even if I could, that would not be enough)
                    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by JohanLingen

from tomorrow on, reading/writing from/to NTFS should be easy as 7.10 Gutsy supports it,
                      It's not as simple as "Gutsy supports it". Feisty supported it -- hell Edgy supported it, IF you installed ntfs-3g, and set the user to be a member of the "fuse" group. You have to do the configuration things -- you can't just install Gutsy and be done. :P

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I will take your advice. Anyway having problems upgrading to Gusty. Don't feel like reinstalling too much. But if I have to well....so be it. Again thanks for your help.

Comment

Before you do a clean install, what issues are you having?
                          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Basically NTFS thing and can not upgrade to Gusty.

Comment

Unless you just want to do a clean install, which there's nothing really wrong with that, you may want to try the following ideas:

1) If you can't get the upgrade tool to run, run the command (note: the parenthesis (" ") are important)
                              Code:
                              kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade"
                              2) If the upgrade tool keeps returning errors, use The Ubuntu sources.list Generator to generate a Gutsy version of the sources.list file, and replace your sources.list with the one generated (kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list). Then, run the following commands in order:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get update
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get install -f
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get autoremove
                              Code:
                              sudo dpkg --configure -a
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get autoclean
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get update
                              and, finally,
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get upgrade

Stay near your computer during the process, as you'll be asked several questions - periodically - that must be answered before the upgrade can proceed (just use the default answers).

Once that finishes, reboot and you should be running Gutsy!

3) Download the Alternate CD, burn it to CD, leave it in your computer with Kubuntu running, and run the command
                              Code:
                              kdesu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"
                              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                              X