This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu does not see my NTFS drive

I have 2 drives one with Kubuntu on it and the other a NTFS format. How can get it to be able to see all my files on that drive? I have been stubbing around the forums to find a answer but can't get it right. Could someone please tell me step by step on how I can go and see my other files on the NTFS. Please be gentile I am a Noobie to Kubuntu.

P.S. LOVE IT!!!!!

Re: Kubuntu does not see my NTFS drive

Click the KMenu (applications menu, bottom left of the taskbar) and choose "System Settings"; once that opens up, navigate to the "Advanced" tab (top left, beside the "General" tab). Click "Disk & Filesystems"; when that opens, click the "Administrator Mode" button on the bottom right of the screen and type your password when prompted. Double-click the drive you want to open. In the window that pops up, you should see a label "Type:" in the top portion; click the drop down menu beside it and scroll up until you see "NTFS" - click "NTFS". Next, look at the label "Device:"; to the right of it should be a radio button entitled "by name" followed by a directory resembling, but not necessarily, "/dev/sda1". If you'll look above that, you'll see a location entitled "Mount Point:" and to the right of that, a box you can type in. Type /media/(whatever followed /dev/ in the box below; if it was /dev/sda1, you'd type /media/sda1) into that box. Click OK and you should be prompted with a dialog box telling you the mount point for your device has not been created and asking if you would like to create it now. Tell it yes.

Then, open Konqueror (or whichever file browser you prefer) and navigate to your /media directory; your newly mounted device should now be visible along with everything inside it (Looks like a lot but it's not really)

Let me know how it works.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

But, if you want both read and write access, you need to install the package ntfs-3g and modify the /etc/fstab file entry for the ntfs partition, changing ntfs to ntfs-3g. This is what my fstab looks like:
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # /dev/sda3
      UUID=a2357a43-de81-4157-91ff-4fe745f01a79 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
      # /dev/sda5
      UUID=86bf2016-0d6c-4e46-a72c-52c8a5d4901b /home ext3 defaults 0 2
      # /dev/sda1
      UUID=00B8EA2FB8EA2340 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
      # /dev/sda2
      UUID=0842EF0542EEF67A /media/vista ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
      # /dev/sda6
      UUID=ea09e5ae-165e-48c7-ab67-884312a84951 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
      /dev/sdd /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good stuff, good stuff!
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks for your help guy's!

Comment

Yep me again,

Ok in Disk and file system I did the steps I was suppose to. But it won't mount. This is what it says " This file system tyep is currently unavailible on the running Kernel" Ok how to I get to run on the kurnel? Thanks!

P.S. I just want to read not write anything to it.

Comment

Try this and let me know how it goes:

Open "Adept Manager" and type "ntfs" into the search bar; make sure the libntfs-3g-dev, libntfs-3g-12, libntfs-3g5, libntfs-dev, libntfs9, and ntfs-3g packages are installed. Then try to access the drive again.
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

IF running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn - 7.04 - then the following packages should be installed for NTFS read/write access:

fuse-utils
                libfuse2
                libntfs-3g0
                ntfs-3g

If any of these packages are not installed, install them.

NOTE: FUSE support needs to be compiled in the kernel or loaded as a module. From a konsole, type:
                Code:
                sudo modinfo fuse
                and press enter. When prompted for a password, enter your password. If your kernel has FUSE support, you should get back the following:
                filename: /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
                alias: char-major-10-229
                license: GPL
                description: Filesystem in Userspace
                author: Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>
                srcversion: 1DB209A47BE9620DBF0B150
                depends:
                vermagic: 2.6.20-16-generic SMP mod_unload 586
                If you do, good. If you don't, then the fuse module needs to be loaded into the kernel. To do that, in the konsole, type:
                Code:
                modprobe fuse
                and press enter. When prompted for a password, enter your password.

Comment

Hi again,

ok checked to see if the packages that you asked that should be installed are installed on the machine. The part where you said to Type /media/(whatever followed /dev/ in the box below; if it was /dev/sda1, you'd type /media/sda1) into that box. Click OK and you should be prompted with a dialog box telling you the mount point for your device has not been created and asking if you would like to create it now. Tell it yes. Ok did that clicked yes and nothing happens. the windows stays there and I have the choice still to click ok or cancel.

Thanks in advance Redd

Comment

If that won't work, try this:

1) Open Konsole and type:
                    Code:
                    sudo mkdir /media/(drive name)
                    2) Still in Konsole, type:
                    Code:
                    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/(drive name) /media/(drive name; same as above)
                    That should do it, if it doesn't let me know

Thanks dibl
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Sweet!! It worked Thanks a million.

Comment

Anytime
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Oh yep me again,

booted up today and well the device is there, but nothing there. And I tried to activate it and it is the same problem. Soon as I click ok nothing happens. So if you could kindly give me a hand again I would appreciate a lot.

Comment

Okay. Post your /etc/fstab file here for a review.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Busy. Ok I need to know how to get the /etc/fstab file. Sorry still learning. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Working...
                              X