Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

it won't.

Any ideas?
    thanks
    crl6904

Comment

Re: ATI 9200 SE and 3D graphics

I found something strange yesterday....I'm not sure if it is the problem with 3D but I think that it might be...

in Xsession.d there's a file called 10fglrx that has :

Code:
      LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/dri
      if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then
       if [ -d /usr/lib32/dri ]; then
        LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/dri
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/lib32
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
       fi
      fi
      export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH

Can this be the problem?
      thanks
      crl6904

grazie
      crl6904

Comment

Most of that is in a test for 64bit setup.
        I don't see anything wrong with the default path there.
        Could you give more information about what you think is wrong or, if there is a link that gave information that you are using, could you provide the link here?

Comment

As for the links, Ill group them up and place them here. They're not all in english... I think that I should ask you a question : do you prefer that I were to place the codes here and translate the extra instructions (if any) in english or prefer the original links?

I know something is wrong becaucse I tried 2 iso's. Kubuntu 7.04 and freespire 2.0. The first gave me 700fps with peaks of 4000fps. The second a steady 900fps. Today I go from 100 - 500 fps.

I'm not totally sure what's wrong...I tried reviewing (comparing the dates on the files in both the liveCD and the OS) the X11 file to see if the problem is there but after what you wrote, I think the problem may be elsewhere. I think maybe I fooled around with some parts and can't remember what I touched.

At this point, I'm almost convinced that the only solution left is reinstalling Kubuntu 7.04 and trying install what I need.

Comment

Best if you translate what you feel are the key parts.

If
            glxinfo | grep direct

is giving you results of direct rendering = yes then I think you are getting about as good as you are going to get. You should be able to run this direct rendering check under freespire as well.If either of them is showing direct rendering yes then I think you should leave well enough alone. You did have a problem earlier with dri not wanting to function. This may not have changed but I don't think the 10fglrx code you posted is the root of the problem.

Is there a particular application you are wanting to run that requires good 3d support? I've reread this thread a number of times, but I'm still confused about why you are so concerned about the 3D performance numbers of a graphics card that is quite old and slow by todays standards. I'm not clear on how you will benefit even if you resolve this issue.

Comment

glxinfo | grep direct gives direct rendering = no

There is no special application that I want to run that asks for good 3D support, but I do want a minimal amount of 3D. An example, at home I've got supertuxcart which before ran smootly and after the DRI fix, it doesn't work well.. I found that using the liveCD the same PC has a better FPS.

Like I said, I'm not into 3D gaming online but I would like to play with my PC when I'd like to, and with the timing that I've got, it doesn't seem possibile.. I'm thinking that eventhough I noticed a problem in the 3D graphics, I think the problem may be something else...

Here are the links :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ra...t=%28radeon%29

Note : switched driver with video and using
              xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.6.3-2ubuntu6_i386.deb instead of xserver-xorg-driver-ati_6.5.7.3-0ubuntu7_i386.deb

here are the codes for the link that I used (translated):

Code:
              lspci # to check version of ATI
              Code:
              sudo modprobe -r fglrx # remove fglrx
              Code:
              glxinfo |grep vendor #check if I Don't see ATI anymore
              Code:
              sudo apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
              In Xorg.conf

In "device" added : Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
              In "server layout" added : Option "AIGLX" "true"

Did not add in Xorg.conf :
              Section "Extensions"
              Option "Composite" "Enable"
              EndSection

because the tutorial said it was part of fiesty.

As you can see it is almost exactly what we've done in the begining, just a few things changed and I used the opportunity to hone my linux skills and to recheck that I've done everything properly..

I think that I either erased something useful accidentally, or made a mistake somewhere in the kernel.

Comment

Don't confuse dvi and dri. The dvi bug refers to problems getting the dvi output of the card to function. The link you just posted is a fix for this.

Dri refers to the direct rendering infrastructure. This is tied to your problem. This has no relation to the link you gave, which discusses dvi.

ATi drivers on linux are notorious for being less refined and more finicky than for nvidia. I wouldn't assume that you made a mistake or that the reason it isn't working is something you did.
                You may have done everything correctly and it still may not work.
                I'm still at a loss as to how to proceed because I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.
                You wouldn't be lucky enough to have a friend who has an older nvidia card sitting around that they aren't using?Maybe something like a 5200 or 6200 series?

Comment

I have an old FX 5200 8x AGP I was going to install on another computer; if you really need it, I'll send it your way if you'll pay for shipping. I can't use it because my current motherboard supports only PCIe cards.
                  Asus G1S-X3:
                  Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Actually, I think I may have found something. I went through the posts form the beginning. I redid what we wrote, and when the montor truned black I restarted in "recovery mode" and I found something in the last few lines.

fglrx ati driver installed 8.37 (something like that)

Maybe this is the problem?

Added :
                    For Integr8te, thanks for the offer. I found other grafic cards for about $40-$50 (I think it was ax X300). I'm not too worried about that. Since I'm new to Kubuntu (6 months), I'd like to try to work things out. It's one of the reasons why I'd like to migrate completely.

Comment

A major problem you are facing, and the reason envy balked, is that the last ati proprietary drivers to support the old 9200 card is 8.28, but they specify support only for xorg 7.1 and earlier.
                      I don't know if it would be possible to get them to function with newer distributions and xorg 7.2.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...n-prer200.html

I guess you could always try, if you haven't yet.

Another option, if getting this to work is a real deal breaker for you, would be to install an older version of kubuntu. I don't remember which xorg version dapper used. If this was something you would want to try I can look into it or perhaps someone here remembers and could save me some time. I couldn't promise you things would work though so it could amount to a lot of wasted time.

Comment

It's right here.
                        Asus G1S-X3:
                        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I know that it is a major problem but I'm determined to fix it in someway.....

Yesterday I tried to uninstall the ATI driver doing :

Code:
                          sudo apt-get remove fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-kernel-$(uname -r) fglrx-kernel-source
                          and found that nothing was there. Then

Code:
                          sudo rm /usr/src/fglrx.tar.bz2
                          sudo rm -R /usr/src/modules
                          To remove the package fglrx.tar.bz2 package.

Nothing....

The only solution would be either downgrade the xserver as you suggested or reinstall 7.04 and see how things work or install 6.10.

Comment

Reinstalled Kubuntu 7.04, with Xorg 7.2

It works fine (min 750 fps)

Thanks
                            crl6904

Comment

Good to hear that it's working.

Comment

Working...
                              X