Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resume from suspend (S3) - is there a 'generic' troubleshooting guide?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resume from suspend (S3) - is there a 'generic' troubleshooting guide?

Hi.
    I've been running Kubuntu occasionally for some months now, and am starting to feel confident in switching away from Windows. The problem of non-working power management features seems to prevail however.
    Googling for motherboard model (Asus P4S533-MX) and Linux ACPI support yields irrelevant hits, and most 'ACPI guides' I've seen usually deal with laptops or specific hardware (not mine).

Right now when I suspend, the system indeed suspends - fans stop, power LED starts blinking etc. When I press the power button, the system starts resuming - about 20 lines come up for a moment, then the screen goes blank (as if to change video mode) and computer freezes - Ctrl+Alt+Del/F* does nothing, NumLock key does not toggle its indicator.

Does anyone know of any guide, or at least a "list of files, logs etc.." to look through, commands to execute, to find what the problem is? A flowchart would be nice
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Re: Resume from suspend (S3) - is there a 'generic' troubleshooting guide?

Try this for a start Let me know if it works:

suspend /resume
    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Well I'll be... THAT "just worked" , although there are some things I'd like to point out, which I didn't do:
      ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=standby
      comment at this line says:
      Code:
      # Change the following to "standby" to use ACPI S1 sleep, rather than S3.
      # This will save less power, but may work on more machines
      Since S1 is pretty much "everything - HDD & video" ON, it defeats the purpose of suspend

As for the "NvAGP" option in xorg.conf, I already had that

My guess is that agpgart module causes trouble - I'll try to revert the settings in /etc/default/acpi-support one-by-one and see what happens.. Anyway, thanks!

UPDATE!
      The module is innocent - it's most likely the video driver's (nvidia 9639) fault for not providing the VBE functionality etc... Maybe even DPMS might work, this is what my (working) file looks like now>
      Code:
      # Comment the next line to disable ACPI suspend to RAM
      ACPI_SLEEP=true

# Comment the next line to disable suspend to disk
      ACPI_HIBERNATE=true

# Change the following to "standby" to use ACPI S1 sleep, rather than S3.
      # This will save less power, but may work on more machines
      ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem

# Add modules to this list to have them removed before suspend and reloaded
      # on resume. An example would be MODULES="em8300 yenta_socket"
      #
      # Note that network cards and USB controllers will automatically be unloaded 
      # unless they're listed in MODULES_WHITELIST
      MODULES=""

# Add modules to this list to leave them in the kernel over suspend/resume
      MODULES_WHITELIST=""

# Should we save and restore state using the VESA BIOS Extensions?
      # fails!
      SAVE_VBE_STATE=false

# The file that we use to save the vbestate
      VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate

# Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
      # fails!
      POST_VIDEO=false

# Save and restore video state?
      # SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true

# Should we switch the screen off with DPMS on suspend?
      USE_DPMS=false

# Use Radeontool to switch the screen off? Seems to be needed on some machines
      # RADEON_LIGHT=true

# Uncomment the next line to switch away from X and back again after resume.
      # This is needed for some hardware, but should be unnecessary on most.
      # DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true

# Set the following to "platform" if you want to use ACPI to shut down
      # your machine on hibernation
      HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown

# Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
      LOCK_SCREEN=true

# Uncomment this line to have DMA disabled before suspend and reenabled
      # afterwards
      # DISABLE_DMA=true

# Uncomment this line to attempt to reset the drive on resume. This seems
      # to be needed for some Sonys
      # RESET_DRIVE=true

# Add services to this list to stop them before suspend and restart them in 
      # the resume process.
      STOP_SERVICES=""

# Restart Infra Red services on resume - off by default as it crashes some
      # machines
      RESTART_IRDA=false

# Switch to laptop-mode on battery power - off by default as it causes odd
      # hangs on some machines
      ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=false

# Spindown time on battery
      SPINDOWN_TIME=12
      I'll keep tinkering with this and modify this post if anything changes (no much use to post new replies IMO ).
      Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Glad to hear it worked happy to help

JJ
        Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Working...
        X