X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia 64bit driver, x-server, blank screen

Hello!

I have decided to, at least turn to semi-linux user (I´m not going to leave windows....yet)
    and once I tested Kubuntu and it looked nice. So I searched information about it and then
    downloaded it.

The version is Kubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn 64-bit

the hardware used is in the sig

the dvd-image was easy to burn, use and install and I had no problems using that (note: although
    I´m a linux-noob, I know how to handle windows so the basics are in control).

But I run into problems right away; those gpu-drivers for nvidia are nasty.

what have I done so far:

Installed/checked
    the make and gcc are installed
    the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
    the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed

removed/checked
    the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option
    the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist
    the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled
    the /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed does not exist

then I tried to install the driver

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run

And it said that I need to stop the x server, so I typed:

ctrl alt F1
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

and I get blank screen, monitor goes to power-save state and there is nothing else I could do,
    exept ctrl alt del and then it boots.

Another frustrating thing is, that when I select my Kubuntu from the GRUB, the screen turns blanck and
    monitore goes to power-save state and about 10s after the Kubuntu-login screen comes in.

And one more thing, I´m a gamer. If I dont get css, ut and so on running on Kubuntu (with/without wine/cedega)
    then it´s almost useless to me.

I need help on this, please give me advice!
    Thanks,
    Ajn

Re: nvidia 64bit driver, x-server, blanck screen

Best way to install nVidia drivers is Envy, but you should be fine the way you're doing it.

After you stop KDM/X, can you hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 again and get back to the terminal? It might be leaving you where the X server is supposed to be (but isn't there, you stopped it).

On gaming: Wine's doing pretty well with games right now. i know UT2004 supports Linux natively, so there you go. (I don't know if other versions do, but it's likely.)
    For external use only.

Comment

Thanks a lot, very fast reply and very helpfull indeed, I´ll try that as soon as I go to linux. And I´ll try too that re-hitting ctrl alt F1

Comment

When I used the Nvidia downloaded installer, I would just go straight to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and kill the xserver in the beginning. Otherwise you're bouncing from Konsole window to console and back again and it gets confusing, to say the least.

The Envy installer is without a doubt simpler. But, it is not yet released for Gutsy, so you have to do a minor "tweak", which is described in the 29 July post here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/116793

I followed the instruction and it works fine on my Gutsy system.

Comment

Re: nvidia 64bit driver, x-server, blank screen

okey, the problem solved. I used envy (you can download it @ http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) and from it, I used the text-based install, which was VERY simple, all I had to do was: press 1, K+enter, K+enter and then it restarted and thats it.

highly recommended for those who dont know so much about linux OR for those who want to get it done easy.

Thanks to all who helped (I`m sorry I did it via the "noobiest" way but, I`m sure some day I will need the advice you gave me)

ps. this is posted @ linux ^^

Comment

Re: nvidia 64bit driver, x-server, blank screen

Originally posted by Ajn
            Thanks to all who helped (I`m sorry I did it via the "noobiest" way but, I`m sure some day I will need the advice you gave me)
            Doing it 'by yourself' requires no apologies. You are going to learn A LOT by doing things your self. Welcome to the club!
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X