Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epson Stylus D92 via Gutenprint/Foomatic?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson Stylus D92 via Gutenprint/Foomatic?

Hi all

I've set up a brand new D92 colour inkjet printer on Feisty using the D88 drivers (one instance of Footmatic/gutenprint-ijs.5.0 and one of Footmatic/gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.0) and the printer just takes the page from the feeder and advances it through without marking it. However the commercial TurboPrint driver works fine (except for the stonking great logo it puts on everything) so I am guessing the printer is Linux-friendly.

I'll get the TurboPrint license if I have to, but if an open source solution is available I'd prefer to do that. Any thoughts what might be wrong? I've read elsewhere that similar model numbers work fine.

Re: Epson Stylus D92 via Gutenprint/Foomatic?

Install the
    foomatic-db-gutenprint
    package, and then see if you can install it via the usual Kmenu>System Settings>Printers utility.

Comment

Done that already, thanks for the suggestion though. Are there any diagnostics I can run, to see what's up?

Comment

Hopeful ping

Comment

OK, through no-one's fault, I admit to getting a teensy bit frustrated with this. Not just with Kubuntu, but with Linux in general. Sorry for this rant, but I'll feel better once I've typed it: why is open-source software this hard? I've given up using Windows despite owning a license, as I am not keen to support a convicted monopolist; however, now that I am adding printing to the list of "things that don't work out of the box", it is testing my moral resolve.

Can anyone supply to me a simple command-line command that I can issue to give me some basic printer dianostics? The printer *will* work under Linux - in fact I can print at 360dpi with commercial TurboPrint software without deliberate output obliteration - so it's just a question of working out what's wrong with GimpPrint, or GutenPrint, or CUPS, or Foomatic...

/rant off

Thanks to any folks who are kind enough to reply.

Comment

No idea, but why doesn't System Settings > Printers > Add > Add Printer/Class work?
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X