This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Nvidia card?

Could anyone recommend an Nvidia card for a new system?

Cpu: (Intel) Q6600
    Ram: 2 GB Crucial

I'm considering 7600 GT, 7900 GS and 8600 GT.

The main uses include encoding/decoding video and 3D.

Light gaming maybe but not a priority. A friend gave me WOW to try and another friend is a big gamer who has offered to lend me a game or two. They're Windoze users. But, I do mostly encoding/decoding, converting avis to dvd and video playback. I have no clue whether you can do hardware acceleration in Linux with any GPU but my cpu is probably powerful enough to offset any HA issues, right? In addition, I might want to dual boot with XP so I was leaning towards a 8600 GT for the HA intangibles but the drivers are still in BETA and not 100% developed yet (AFAIK).

I want to use Linux more anyway so I am thinking Nvidia is probably the best bet to go with but which card? I also thought to go with a cheaper card in case ATI improves their drivers and offers a good card/driver combination at some point (but not betting on it). I have a computer already that could use a GPU upgrade but it's not required (as it has an ATI X300SE) since Kubuntu is installed. But, I haven't installed proper drivers for it yet. It's using VESA or something (not sure).

I often use MPlayer, Kaffeine, Tovid, VLC etc.

Comments? Recommendations? Advice? All welcome!!!!!!

Re: Which Nvidia card?

The high definition h.264 decode pipeline hardware support is more complete on the 8600 series than the 7xxx series cards. Since games aren't very important I would probably go with the 8600.

Comment

Personally I use an 8800GTS 640mb card and it works beautifully

I'd say anything above a 7600 GS/Gt should be great if you where near me I'd give you my hardly used 7600 GS 256mb for a £5, its just sitting about lol, great card though
      Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

To clarify things. The 8800 cards are great gaming cards. They do NOT have the same HD decode hardware support that the 8600 cards have so, for a video focus, the 8600 series would be preferred. Any of the cards mentioned should be fine for WOW.

Comment

You may want to look at this. Those are the cards you are interested in, sorted by price.
          For external use only.

Comment

Working...
          X