X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct way to install a harddrive ?

Hi,

I'm new to linux, I installed kubuntu 2 days ago, and I still haven't figured out how to just install an internal hard drive. I want to partition it, format it in FAT32, and have it mounted at all times, automatically at each boot.

Thanks for any help.

Beru

Re: Correct way to install a harddrive ?

OK, I'll try to help.

1. To partition it, download the ISO and make yourself a GParted Live CD. Get the ISO here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Make your root partition ( "/" ) about 6 GB for Kubuntu, and make a partition for swap that is 0.5GB, and then the rest of it -- as much as you have available -- can be for "/home" which is where your data will reside.

2. You can't run Linux on FAT32 format. Format your Linux filesystems ( "/" and "/home") in ext3 or reiserfs. Swap is its own format.

3. The default is to auto-mount all partitions that are in existence at the time that you install Kubuntu.

Comment

Thank you... sorry for not being clear enough but Kubuntu is installed already... This is a second hard drive. I have partitioned it and formatted it with QTParted. I have inserted a line in /etc/fstab. Now it automounts, but... I cannot get permissions on it... I have tried with sudo chmod but it doesn't work...

Thanks
      Beru

Comment

OK, I have found the problem... By default FAT partitions can only be written by their owners and since there is no permission system in FAT, it can only be changed by modifying fstab...

Comment

Working...
        X