This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Laptop Fans Issue

I own an HP ze5373US (yes, it's old - about 5 years old to be exact), and when I got a new desktop, I decided to turn it into a Linux box. My roommate in college turned his laptop (also an HP, just newer) into an Ubuntu Machine, but he went to Fedora since he said his wireless drivers didn't work with Ubuntu.

I installed Kubuntu, it's great, I just notice that even when the machine is idling, all of the fans are on, and they're abnormally loud (and the laptop is really warm - even to the point of "hot"). Is there some issue with Kubuntu/Linux in general handling Laptop fans differently?

Also, this is probably a dead-end question, but I don't suppose there's any drivers or whatnot for handling the wireless/one-touch buttons. I realize these would probably have to be distributed by HP, I was just wondering if anyone has any info ona a possible third-party driver.

Re: Kubuntu Laptop Fans Issue

I just notice that even when the machine is idling, all of the fans are on, and they're abnormally loud (and the laptop is really warm - even to the point of "hot"). Is there some issue with Kubuntu/Linux in general handling Laptop fans differently?
    Maybe this:
    Topic: MAJOR FLAW DISCOVERED IN 7.04
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085936.0

I don't suppose there's any drivers or whatnot for handling the wireless/one-touch buttons. I realize these would probably have to be distributed by HP, I was just wondering if anyone has any info ona a possible third-party driver.
    You could try to search forums/google with your wireless card type + ndiswrapper

NDISwrapper
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/
    Many vendors do not release specifications of the hardware or provide a Linux driver for their wireless network cards. This project implements Windows kernel API and NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification) API within Linux kernel. A Windows driver for wireless network card is then linked to this implementation so that the driver runs natively, as though it is in Windows, without binary emulation.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the link to the NDISwrapper, I found that someone with an HP Pavilion ze4560us laptop confirms that it works with it, and that's the same chassis that my laptop uses... without the wireless button lol...

I'll give it a go when I get off work and let you know if it worked or not. If so, I'll add my model to the NDISwrapper page and that will be one more confirmed model to work!

As for the fan issue, it may just be me worrying about every little thing... "Wait a sec, they weren't THAT loud running Windows... were they?" I tend to worry about everything, which I feel is OK, since my laptop is 5 years old and the only thing I had to fix was the keyboard when I accidentally spilled a giant cup of Pepsi on it ><

Oh, there also isn't a scratch anywhere to be found on it. haha

Comment

About the computer running hot, there has to be some service running that's causing the processor to work so hard.
        Can't you find something unusual when checking KSysGuard/ process table?
        Click on User% and Process% to see what's causing the overheating.

When found, kill it.

Comment

Working...
        X