This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ATI radeon HD 2600 pro - no drivers work

It jsut keeps stalling and there is nor error message as such.

I have to reboot - change the bios to internal then reconfigure the dpgk to vesa then startx

i can edit xorg.conf with nano

when i shutdown from the prompt i get a message about finding the ati card on busid 2:0:0

the internal video is located at busid 0:2:0

i have attemtped to reconfigure the Ati reference in the xorg.conf file to use the 2:0:0 bus id but it results in the same lock up about 3 bars into teh boot up screen.

AAAAAAAAAAAAFFFAARRRRRK --- help

Comment

Have you tried booting with the no apci added to the end of the kernel line?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok at first it just did not do anything

not sure if putting noapci into grub line is the correct way though

did get further in the process - i think.

when i use altF1

it says kernel panic - not syncing - stop idle task and locks up

vista still works

Comment

when i boot and change the chipset in the bios to boot with pci
          Do you have onboard graphic (+Ati card) ?

Can you start Kubuntu from cd (Start Kubuntu in safe graphic mode) with Ati enabled (probably in the vesa mode) ?
          If yes -> 1) copy xorg.conf from virtual session to the hard drive.
          2) try to start Kubuntu from hard drive
          3) reconfigure X server (fglrx)

You can try to start without xorg.conf
          Rename (/remove) xorg.conf and start without xorg.conf. This may work :
          From Xorg release 7.2
          http://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/7.2?a...angesForX11R73
          Autoconfiguration: The X server can now start without an xorg.conf file in most cases.
          Note that is says: "in most cases"

If you get Kubuntu up without xorg, reconfigure X server (fglrx)

When i had problems with boot:

BootOptions
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
          When and How to Use

There are at least major two cases where one may wish to use boot options.

Case 1: When trying to install, and the install freezes.

Case 2: After a system has been installed and does not boot or the system needs adjustment.
          I had bad dvd-rom, irqpoll was the trick:
          Option: irqpoll

Impact: Changes the way the kernel handles interrupt calls (set it to [WWW] polling). Can be useful in case of hardware interrupt issues.

Link:
          HOWTO : Repairing xorg.conf
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

ok - have tried just about everything now and i am going to give up soon.

i have tried appending noapic nolapic irqpoll and a few others to the boot kernel line but all result in exactly the same lock up

using altf1 it says kernel panic not syncing - killing process.

then have to reconfigure xorg.conf to vesa and change the bios to boot internally.

i then tried using these previously successful instructions on another computer running ati radeon 9600 pro:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

but i am now stuck:- i have not rebooted yet

if i do an fglrxinfo i still get mesa drivers

(i cant post as i am at another computer)

if i edit xorg i get

that the video device is using fglrx drivers on busid 0:2:0

i am pretty sure that this is where the problem is occuring and that the installation has not worked because

if i do an lpci i get a busid of 0:2:0 for internal display but

the ati card is on busid 2:0:0

this means that if i reboot after having installed all of the drivers without changing this in the xorg first - ubuntu may not be searching the right busid for the new card and new drivers.

if i reboot now and change the bios to use the card it will probably stall again.

this leads to a catch 22 because i then have to reconfigure xorg and lose all changes.

this is a major let down when all that is needed for vista is to shove a cd in and away you go. Just plug in the card - install the drivers - reboot and change the boot chipset and away you go 3d acceleration to burn

I must admit this sort of thing has occurred on numerous occassions even with nvidia cards. In fact i still cant use my M2v motherboard with ubuntu becuase it needs to boot from a video card.

The m2v motherboard boots with mandrake and windows but i have tried every single version of ubuntu and all live/ alternate cd's and dvds but nothing has worked

Comment

have just attempted another installation of drivers and was again unsuccessful

changing the busid did not work but it did stop me from using the internal card when i rebooted and changed to it in the bios.

currently running the vesa driver in the xorg file

i have found something interesting though and that is that the installation does not seemed to have worked properly.

when i do a fglrxinfo i get:

iain@iain710:~$ flgrxinfo
              bash: flgrxinfo: command not found
              iain@iain710:~$ fglrxinfo
              Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
              display: :0.0 screen: 0
              OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
              OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
              OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)

iain@iain710:~$

The mesa driver are still there

looks like i will have to investigate why this is so unless anyone has an answer

from looking at the wiki - it give this as an indication of a failure to carry out the installation properly.

should be easy to fix hey

Comment

Hmm.
                Well, I guess you're stuck with vesa until ATI releases the next driver.
                For external use only.

Comment

I have an HD2600XT and was able to build the driver manually by following the "second method" instructions here.

Under the hardware section of display settings, it still says that I'm using VESA as a driver but I have 3D acceleration and Catalyst Control Centre works.
                  http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Comment

following those instructions has installed the vesa driver as you said. This at least allows a reboot using the internal card without having to edit xorg and startx.
                    But when i fglrxinfo is still get the mesa drivers and the busid failure.
                    these issues are outlined in the wiki and some suggestions are in the trouble shoot.
                    nothing has worked after trying each and every one.

Also have looked in the bios to change the use of memory allocations but there is no way to change the settings specified in the trouble shoot.

This is the next step because it describes the exact type of lock up that occurs on booting from the card. But it is difficult finding out exactly what to change on my bios.

Pretty sure it is the driver but could also be the installation becuase i am still getting mesa when i fglrxinfo even after reboot works with vesa.

Comment

How frustrating!!!

Gutsy has been so good through a cold reinstallation using the alternate cd.

It used the card throughout the whole installation procedure which is a BIG BIG change to previous versions of kubuntu that lock up or give a blank signal on installation. (so does mint and pcos) but windows vista and mandrake.

BUT IT LOCKS UP when booting at 2.5 bars into start up screen.

It is also now impossible to use internal card after completing an installation with the HD2600pro.

A complete reinstallation is needed to use the internal card because it locks up as described by other users of Ubuntu Gutsy in recent posts on ubuntu forums.

So i would love to blame this on ati but mandrake and windows works so how hard can it be to create ubuntu drivers for the HD series?

Comment

Working...
                      X