This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name that webcam!

OK, silly subject line, but a serious question. Rather than sorting my way through the video4linux lists of cams that work, might work, reported to work, etc., I was hoping for some first hand info to use when I buy a cam.

If you have a webcam and it works in Kubuntu, please post a short message with the name/vendor/model of the cam and any special voodoo you had to do to make it work.

If the cam was incredibly cheap and works great, post that too.

Thanks!
    I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Re: Name that webcam!

I have two webcams:
    • An older Dexxa Webcam (it looks like older Logitech Quickcam Express, in fact, i use the same driver (quickcam express) in linux and windows. This webcam is outdated.
    • A new webcam that i've bought: Logitech Quickcam Messenger. I've only connected and works perfect. It's not an amazing webcam, but i wanted a better webcam than my older webcam, and my new webcam has a good quality/cost relationship. It costs 29.99€. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we...s/206&cl=es,es

Comment

Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX, as shown here: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we...FRCTIgod6zb4RQ

Worked "out of the box" on my Feisty installation, both Kubuntu and Ubuntu, on an Intel D975XBX motherboard. I've used it in Camorama and Kopete -- can't testify about other applications.

Comment

Intel Create & Share YC76 (Konica chip), purchased in 1998. Worked just fine in Dapper, out of the box, but Feisty just doesn't handle it. System still detects the camera, but camstream, or any other prog, just shows a frozen messed image.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX, as shown here: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we...FRCTIgod6zb4RQ

Worked "out of the box" on my Feisty installation, both Kubuntu and Ubuntu, on an Intel D975XBX motherboard. I've used it in Camorama and Kopete -- can't testify about other applications.

You are not the first person who has recommended this camera, and for that reason, I just purchased one online today!

Thanks to Fenix and myNigga also for suggestions.

If anyone is interested, you can get this cam at Geeks.com refurbished and pay half price (about $25). I've purchased refurbed stuff from Geeks before and have always gotten a good item at a cheap price.
          I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Comment

Working...
          X