This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about touchpad mouse on Toshiba Satellite Notebook

Back when I had windoze, my touchpad was able to scroll up and down on webpages, as well as left and right.

The scroll bar does work up and down on Fiesty, but is there a way to get it to scroll left and right as well?

Its not a big deal if I can't, but it was a nice feature to have. I tried looking in the system info for a spot to enable horizontal scrolling, but didn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Re: Question about touchpad mouse on Toshiba Satellite Notebook

Install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and ksynaptics, then use KSynaptics to configure the touchpad.
    For external use only.

Comment

ok, I installed ksynaptics and all that, but when I try to go into the ksynaptics, I get the error msg:

Shared memory is not accessible.

Please add the option 'SHMConfig "on" into the touchpad section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I can select ok, and it will bring me into the program, but I cannot change anything.

I tried to add the "on" option in the file listed, but I am not familiar with editing configuration files, and I couldn't find a spot to add the "on" option.

Can you help me with this?

Comment

The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file has to be edited as root. It's simple enough to do by opening Konqueror and changing into the /ect/X11 directory. Locate the xorg.conf file and right-click and select Actions | Edit as Text

CAUTIONARY NOTE: Make a backup of this file before editing. With the file open, do a Save As and name it (example) xorg.conf_WORKING

This way, if you mess the xorg.conf file up, you can rename your xorg.conf_WORKING back to xorg.conf
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok...but how do I set it to "on"?

and "what" do I set to "on"?

Comment

Find your touchpad section (it'll probably mention "synaptics" somewhere, or have something about /dev/input), and stick 'SHMConfig "on"' on its own line there.

Or, just post (or, preferably, attach) your xorg.conf and we'll be happy to tell you exactly where to put it.
            For external use only.

Comment

wasn't sure where exactly it needed to be and if it needed an "option" line or what not, so here is the section pulled from kate:

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
              Driver "synaptics"
              Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
              Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
              Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
              Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
              EndSection

Comment

Yes, my mistake. There should be an "Option" at the beginning of the line there.
                So, that section should now read like this:
                Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
                Driver "synaptics"
                Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
                Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
                Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
                Option "SHMConfig" "on"
                EndSection
                You might also like to know that for this purpose, the values of "1", "true", "on", and "yes" are all interpreted to mean the same thing. Same goes for their opposites.
                For external use only.

Comment

so if I want to be able to scroll horizontally, I should change that "0" to a "1"?

Comment

No. You could change it and see what it does, though.
                    For external use only.

Comment

ok, thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                      X