This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem : Beryl , nVidia Drivers ....

Hello, I have Ubuntu.I'm install kubuntu-desktop. And I want have beryl.
    I'm so install beryl ( sudo apt-get install beryl ) , and nVidia Drivers ( sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx ) , but problem is I don know how must configure this program and driver.
    When I write in console : "beryl" my desktop becomes white and I do not see thing.
    My VGA is Asus N8600GT ( 512 MB ).
    What do I do? Please help out. Thanks ahead.

Re: Problem : Beryl , nVidia Drivers ....

I'll try to help.

It says here that your 8600GT is supported by the latest Nvidia driver, which is ver. -100.14.11. The nvidia-glx package that you installed is 2 versions earlier than that.

So, I will lay out a sequence of things for you to do, designed for an inexperienced user, and hopefully it will help you learn to work with your Kubuntu system as well as end up with a Beryl cube.

First, let's change you over to a VESA graphics display, so the older nvidia driver that you have now is not in use. Open your Konsole and enter this:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    This will begin the xorg configuration script. On the first question, choose "NO" to autodetecting, and on the second question choose "VESA" as the display. Then you can accept the defaults until you get to the "monitor" section. On that screen, put an "x" only in one resolution that you can comfortably use, like 1024 x 768, or if it is a small display maybe 800 x 600. Then enter refresh rates appropriate for your LCD or CRT monitor. When completed, it will dump you back to the text prompt. At that point you can enter

Code:
    startx
    to start your xserver in VESA mode.

Now, the second thing you need to do is to download and install the Envy script installer. So go to this website: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html and download the file "envy_0.9.7-0ubuntu8_all.deb" which is about halfway down the page. Download it to your Desktop. Open Konqueror, right click on the downloaded file, and choose "Kubuntu Package Menu > Install Package". When you do this, you will likely get an error message -- it will say something like "depends on fakeroot, python-glade .." and a few other packages. That's OK -- don't panic! Just make note of which packages it is asking for, then open your Adept Manager, find those packages, mark them for installation, click "Apply", and they will be installed. Once they are, open Konqueror again, right-click the downloaded Envy file again, and go ahead and attempt to install it again. If you got all the packages that it depends on, then it will be installed, and an Envy icon will appear in your KMenu>System folder. Click on this icon to run the Envy installer. It will detect your graphics chip and offer to install the latest Nvidia driver for it, including updating your xorg.conf file, and inviting you to restart your xserver.

Probably the first thing to do, when you run Envy, is to choose "Remove Nvidia driver" -- this will remove the wrong one that you presently have. When it completes that routine, then choose "Install Nvidia Driver" to get the new one.

If, for any reason, the Envy GUI installer appears not to work correctly, open your Konsole and enter
    Code:
    sudo envy -t
    -this will run the Envy installer in text mode, and it is very reliable that way.

OK, now assuming that you've managed the process this far, we're ready to configure your driver to run Beryl. Open the Konsole, and enter
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
    This will enable glx and compositing.

Now you are ready to install Beryl. If the package is marked as being installed in Adept (due to your prior efforts), then open the Konsole and enter
    Code:
    beryl
    This will cause it to read your driver settings. Watch it closely, and let us know if it reports any errors. If it finds all the settings that it is looking for, then you can run beryl-manager from your KMenu>System folder, and it will put the red Beryl icon on your panel. Right-click that icon, and choose "Select Window Decorator", and choose Emerald. Then right-click the Beryl icon again, and choose Select Window Manager, and choose Beryl. If all goes as hoped for, this will enable the Beryl cube -- position your cursor out on the desktop outside any windows, and scroll your mouse wheel to see if it rotates the cube. Then you can get into the Beryl Settings Manager and play with wobbly windows, Emerald Themes, skydomes, and all the rest of it.

Hope this helps you!

Comment

I have one question.
      On
      Code:
       Configuring xserver-xorg           
       Keyboard variant:
      Code:
      Configuring xserver-xorg           
      Keyboard options
      What I must write ?

Comment

Unless you are aware that your keyboard is "non-standard" in some way, just accept the default settings for keyboard and mouse options.

Comment

I make every think how you write in your post.But, after I restart PC , Os can't load Xserver. I restore old xorg.conf and now work. but again I can't start beryl.
          Now I using http://www.code-bg.com/842
          But
          Code:
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
          make o use http://www.code-bg.com/843
          Plese Help me..

Comment

This one: http://www.code-bg.com/843 looks like the right one for you.

But it will not run?

Try to run it, and when it fails, look at /var/log/xorg.0.log -- it should show some error, which might help understand the problem.

Comment

With http://www.code-bg.com/843 , Kubuntu speake " Can't load /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
              And Log-file is empty.

Comment

I think when you started dpkg-reconfigure, you chose "YES" on the first screen, and it has selected the "nv" driver.

I am advising you to choose "NO" on the first screen, and then choose "VESA" display on the next screen.

If you do this, then you will have a VESA xorg, not the "nv" driver. I think if you do this, then the Envy script will install the correct Nvidia driver for you.

Comment

Hello. I think setup xorg.But when I enter in console "Beryl".I look :
                  pisio@unix:~$ beryl
                  ************************************************** ************
                  * Beryl system compatiblity check *
                  ************************************************** ************

Detected xserver : AIGLX

Checking Display :0.0 ...

Checking for XComposite extension : passed (v0.3)
                  Checking for XDamage extension : passed
                  Checking for RandR extension : passed
                  Checking for XSync extension : passed

Checking Screen 0 ...

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                  Root visual is not a GL visual
                  beryl: glXCreateContext failed
                  beryl: Failed to manage screen: 0
                  beryl: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
                  pisio@unix:~$

Comment

AIGLX?

That's crazy -- that's for ATI cards! Something is not right. I think you need to go back to VESA, and then try again to install the Nvidia driver.

Comment

My mainbord have integrated VGA ( 256 mb ) , and my VGA is Asus with chip Nvidia 8600GT(256 mb) , under Windows XP everest speek 1 VGA card who is 512Mb.
                      //off topic
                      Do you have everest for linux , or anader program
                      //off topic end.

Comment

The latest Nvidia driver, -100.14.11 will run the 8600GT, and also the one before that -9755.

-9755 is in the nvidia-glx-new package in the repository -- have you tried that one?

I don't know the everest or anader programs -- what do they do?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          The latest Nvidia driver, -100.14.11 will run the 8600GT, and also the one before that -9755.

-9755 is in the nvidia-glx-new package in the repository -- have you tried that one?

I don't know the everest or anader programs -- what do they do?
                          Code:
                          pisio@unix:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree    
                          Reading state information... Done
                          nvidia-glx-new is already the newest version.
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          http://www.lavalys.com/products/scre...hot_01_eng.png

Comment

OK, open a Konsole window and enter this:
                            Code:

That everest is nice, but that is a Win XP system that it is showing. You can see most of that information if you run kcontrol. Hit Alt-2 and enter kcontrol.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              OK, open a Konsole window and enter this:
                              Code:

That everest is nice, but that is a Win XP system that it is showing. You can see most of that information if you run kcontrol. Hit Alt-2 and enter kcontrol.

Code:
                              pisio@unix:~$ sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
                              Password:

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
                              Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" added to Screen "Default Screen".
                              Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
                              New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

And after I reboot Xserver :
                              Failed to start X server (your grafiphical interface).It islikely that it is not setp up corrently.
                              Would you like to view the x Server output to diagnoce the problem.
                              Yes / No
                              If I press "NO"
                              Originally posted by [color=red]NO[/color]
                              The X server is not desable.
                              Restart GDM.When it is correctly.
                              If I press "YES":
                              Originally posted by [color=red]YES[/color]
                              X wndows Sysyem Version 7.2.0
                              Relase Date: 22 Junuary 2007
                              X protocal Version: Linux ubuntu
                              Current Operation system Linux Unix 2.6.20-16-generic.#SMP the Jun 29:19:32 UTC 2007 i686
                              Build Data: 04April 2007
                              Before reporting problems chek http://wiki.x.org to make sure that you have the latest version.
                              Module loader Present:
                              Markers: (--)probed,(**(from confing file,(==)default setting,(++)form command line,(!!)notice,( I I )informatinal,
                              (WW)warning,(EE)Eroor, (NI) not implamented,(??) unknown.
                              (==)Log file:"/var/log/Xorg.0.Log"Time: Sat Aug 23:43:31 2007
                              (==) Using config file: 'etc/X111/corg.conf"
                              Fatal : cound not open
                              'lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generiv/volatilenvidia.ko':No such file or directory.
                              (EE)Nvidia(0):Failed to load the nVidia kernel module!
                              (EE)Sreen(s) found,but none havve a usable configuration.
                              Fatal server error-no screensfound.

Comment

Working...
                              X