This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinnacle PCTV card

I am trying to get my TV card working in my new Kubuntu installation. It is a Pinnacle PCTV card with a BT848 chipset. As far as I know this chipset has driver support from the kernel, so I don't need to install a driver. Correct?

When I start xawtv all I see is "snow". No channels are found.

Who can help me to get it working?

Re: Pinnacle PCTV card

I recently fought a Hauppauge PVR-150 into submission -- I don't know if any of this will be helpful or not, but maybe the principles are similar: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085164.0

Probably the ivtv part is the same. Will ivtv tune a channel correctly?

Comment

Thanks for the link dibl.

The ivtv driver is not applicable for my card, but the instructions helped me locate the problem. The driver was not able to detect the correct card automatically. So passing an extra option to the driver did the trick.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

A follow-up question:

Since the driver did not autodetect my card I had to use an extra option to get it working. I did that with the following commands:

Code:
        sudo rmmod bttv
        sudo modprobe bttv card=1
        That worked fine.

Now I wanted the driver to load the correct card on startup. According to the website were I found the instructions to get it working I had to make a file called tvcard in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the following content:

Code:
        options bttv card=1
        So I tried this, but after a reboot my system hangs when I try to watch tv. Removing the module and restarting it with the commands above make it work again. So what did I do wrong with the options file?

Comment

Hmm. That shouldn't be doing anything different from "modprobe bttv card=1", which succeeds... Weird.
          If it hangs, can you switch to a terminal and execute "dmesg"?
          For external use only.

Comment

Yep, dmesg might show something.

It almost sounds like the old IRQ contention from DOS days of old.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              If it hangs, can you switch to a terminal and execute "dmesg"?
              No I can't. The system hangs completely.

Comment

Huh.
                Well, I'd say just create an init script to load the module, since modprobing succeeds.
                For external use only.

Comment

Well, it seems I was too quick in blaming the options file. After a reboot the tv caused my system to hang even after reloading the module. However, using a different program to watch tv (xawtv instead of kdetv) the tv works just fine. So the problem seems to be in kdetv instead of in the module.

It seems strange however that a simple program like kdetv is able to completely crash my system just by starting it. Any thoughts about this are still welcome.

Comment

Working...
                  X