This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT card

I have installed Kubuntu on my new PC. I am also a new Kubuntu user.

I suspect that my graphical card GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E may not be properly configured. I think so because when I run Planet Penguin Racer game the movement of the penguin is not smooth as I have seen on another Kubuntu machine earlier today.

Perhaps I am not using the right driver. How do I know that the driver on my machine is the right one ?

For completeness here are other specifications of my PC :

RAM: DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0 Kingston
    CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme, Core™ 2 Duo, Pentium EE, Pentium D, Pentium 4, Celeron D processors , Socket T (LGA775) ,Intel P965+ICH8R,1066 / 800 / 533 MHz,Dual Channel DDR2 800 / 667 x 4 DIMMs, Max 8GB,1 x PCIe x16, 1 x PCIe x4, 1 x PCIe x1, 3 x PCI,ATA 133 x 1,6 x Serial ATAII + 1 x E-serial ATAII with RAID 0, 1, 5, 0+1, JBOD,7.1 channel Audio, Realtek ALC883 (HDA),GbE LAN,Marvell 88E8056 (PCIe)

It would save me a lot of time If somebody could help me.

Ivan
    Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Re: Issue with GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT card

Nice card, Ivan!

OK, according to Nvidia here, your card is supported by their latest driver, ver. -100.14.11. You have 2 ways to install it:

1. Download and install from Nvidia's web site, following their instructions.

2. By downloading and running the Envy script installer, available here I recommend this second way, because Nvidia's instructions don't necessarily address every nuance of the standard *buntu Linux system configuration.

So, from the web site, you download the file "envy_0.9.7-0ubuntu8_all.deb" to your desktop, then you right-click it and you choose "KPackage Manage>Install", and you install it. Then you can either run it from the icon that will appear in your KMenu>System folder, or in a Konsole window you can enter
    Code:
    sudo envy -t
    and run it in text mode. That's the way I do it.

Good luck!

Comment

The envy thing could be a How-to, Dibl.
      How many of your total posts talk about it? Half of them?

Comment

Yep!

Plus, lately I'm helping people who have better Nvidia cards than I do!

I think I need to have a little transaction with my buddies at Newegg!

Comment

lately I'm helping people who have better Nvidia cards than I do!
          C'est la vie...

I think I need to have a little transaction with my buddies at Newegg!
          Ask them a new card, otherwise we will install a filter which will overwrite the word Newegg here. =)
          No pain, no gain.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Nice card, Ivan!

OK, according to Nvidia here, your card is supported by their latest driver, ver. -100.14.11. You have 2 ways to install it:

1. Download and install from Nvidia's web site, following their instructions.

2. By downloading and running the Envy script installer, available here I recommend this second way, because Nvidia's instructions don't necessarily address every nuance of the standard *buntu Linux system configuration.

So, from the web site, you download the file "envy_0.9.7-0ubuntu8_all.deb" to your desktop, then you right-click it and you choose "KPackage Manage>Install", and you install it. Then you can either run it from the icon that will appear in your KMenu>System folder, or in a Konsole window you can enter
            Code:
            sudo envy -t
            and run it in text mode. That's the way I do it.

Good luck!
            Many thanks, Dibl ! This really helped.

One point to mention : after I installed the package I could not run it from the icon. Envy script just would not start. So I tried the second option - running it in text mode. There I found out that there were some dependency issues and the system suggested to run

sudo apt-get -f install

So I run it and after that I could start the Envy script from the icon. The penguin runs perfectly smoothly now.

Once again, many thanks.
            Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Comment

Working...
            X