This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon x1650xt problem

I have just built a new pc and after installing fglrx for my x1650xt I restart and get a blank screen. I have been able to get vesa drivers back up and working but have thus far been unsuccessful with the ati drivers.

Another interesting fact is when the blank screen comes up my monitor reports running at the correct resolution (1440x900 H-71kHz V-75Hz) But nothing is displayed.

I have tried both the driver from the repository and the newest driver from the ATI website with the same effect. The non-proprietary driver doesn't load at all.

ATI Radeon x1650xt (Crossfire setup in windows-not trying it in Kubuntu)
    MSI K9A Platinum Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    Acer X191W Monitor (optimal resolution 1440x900 75Hz)

Re: ATI Radeon x1650xt problem

Start it up in a bad session, then switch to a terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in, and execute "startx". See what it says.
    For external use only.

Comment

Ok--- Reinstalled newest drivers from ATI. Restarted and got a blank screen, alt-f1 for virtual console. Logged in and started X. listed various errors in xorg.conf file I went in and tried to straighten them out. Found 2 sections for device, screen, and monitor, (two video cards) however the ati script only changed the second set of each. I went in and manually changed each section so the matched excepting identifying the first set as [0] and the second set as [1].
      See xorg.conf file below. It actually worked sort of back into GUI however fglrx info reveals Mesa drivers. Any Ideas?

fglrxinfo

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
      display: :0.0 screen: 0
      OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
      OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
      OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)

xorg.conf (monitor section down)

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
      Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
      Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
      Option "DPMS" "true"
      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[1]"
      Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
      Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
      Option "DPMS" "true"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
      Driver "fglrx"
      Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
      Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "aticonfig-Device[1]"
      Driver "fglrx"
      Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
      Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
      Device "aticonfig-Device[0]"
      Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
      DefaultDepth 24
      SubSection "Display"
      Viewport 0 0
      Depth 24
      EndSubSection
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[1]"
      Device "aticonfig-Device[1]"
      Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[1]"
      DefaultDepth 24
      SubSection "Display"
      Viewport 0 0
      Depth 24
      EndSubSection
      EndSection

Section "DRI"
      Mode 0666
      EndSection

Section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "Disable"
      EndSection

Comment

Also, for the record, I could care less if both video cards work in linux. As long as the first one does.

Comment

One more thing... I now have the resolution my monitor recomends. 1440x900 75Hz
          Strangely though when I go to "Monitor and Display Settings" It shows all four video devices (2 DVI ports per card)
          and all of them are showing Vesa drivers and the display section shows only one monitor (which is correct) but shows a resolution of 640x480.

I now have a catalyst control center and it only shows one video device but correctly reports my resolution 1440x900 75Hz

Odd.

Comment

Hmm - what shows Xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) ?

Hmm #2 - this is a bit old (Published on October 14, 2006)
            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=566&num=1
            CrossFire also is not supported by the fglrx drivers, nor would we expect to see this support anytime in the near future.
            There has been monthy upgrades of fglrx but they have been maintenance releases.
            http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4700
            Phoronix: One Bug A Day Keeps AIGLX Away

Today marks the release of the 8.40.4 fglrx driver, which fixes a few bugs and offers some minor improvements to the AMD Catalyst Control Center. We have dubbed this the "One Bug A Day Keeps AIGLX Away" release for the driver still lacking AIGLX and still being in the old driver's maintenance cycle.

Don't know if these help:
            FAQ: Links - How to Install AMD(Ati) Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx)
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085652.0

Have you tried Phoronix Forums
            http://www.phoronix.com/forums/
            GNU/Linux & Solaris Hardware talk
            There is: AMD/ATI Linux
            Technical support and discussion of the ATI/AMD proprietary Linux driver.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Okay I have removed a video card and reinstalled Kububtu. reinstalled drivers same problem so that wasn't it.

I keep getting xfree86_DRI failures don't know exactly what it means.

any other ideas?

Comment

Yeah, post the X errors.
                See my post above, #1.
                For external use only.

Comment

okay I think I am resigned to wait for gutsy.
                  It should work, but these cards haven't been out long and ati has no support for the X3200 chipset on the motherboard so wait and try again later....If I get bored I may download the Gutsy Tribe 4 CD and give it a try. Never know what could happen. Thank you for your help.

Comment

You sure you want to wait? If you'd just post the errors, we'd know what your problem is... The errors are logged for a reason.
                    Contrary to what one may thing, we're not omnipotent.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Ok, you got me...I have it royally screwed now though, can't even get to the virtual console with 'ctrl-alt-F1'. I will reinstall and then post the log file. One thing I worry about though is this card has only been out maybe six months. It's not top of the line but it is a new chipset and I think we all know how well linux does with new hardware.

I will reinstall and post back as soon as possible. I really do appreciate your help, I just hope all is not in vain.

Comment

Ok, I have reinstalled Kubuntu and installed the ATI driver per these instructions..
                        http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
                        I used the second set and downloaded the newest drivers. I ran into some dependency problems that I didn't notice last time ia32-libs missing. I found them in synaptic and the rest went smoothly. Now after I reboot I have my 1440x900 res back, however fglrxinfo reports this
                        "Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                        display: :0.0 screen: 0
                        OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
                        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
                        OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)"

Still no fglrx....

What parts of the xorg log file did you want me to post? Can't post the whole thing.

Comment

Ok learned something new again... Just the errors and warnings

Xorg Log

(EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
                          (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
                          (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
                          (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:0:0) found
                          (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:0:1) found
                          (WW) fglrx(0): Failed to open DRM connection
                          (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
                          (WW) fglrx(0): Only one display is connnected,so single mode is enabled
                          (WW) fglrx(0): No DRM connection for driver fglrx.
                          (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
                          (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
                          (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
                          (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
                          (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
                          (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
                          (WW) fglrx(0): Textured Video not supported without DRI enabled.
                          (WW) fglrx(0): Video Overlay not supported on AVIVO based graphics cards. For XVideo support use Option "TexturedVideo".
                          (WW) fglrx(0): Option "VendorName" is not used
                          (WW) fglrx(0): Option "ModelName" is not used

gibberish to me... hope it helps.

Comment

Can you also post (or, preferably, attach) /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
                            For external use only.

Comment

Here is my xorg.conf
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X