This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An integrated graphic card and a PCI Nvidia

Well I've been reading forums a following instructions but to no avail, I have a computer and it's got and integrated AGP Intel card, but it's not to grand, so I wanted to put this card I have in it, it's a "NVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420" but every time I put the card in the computer X won't start and "envy" says it won't work on my computer, and "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" does not fix it, when I try "startx" is says that it can't find the card and that it's some busId problem, or the there's no card in the specified BusID. And "lspci" says that my card is in " 01:0b:0" and when I put that in my xorg.conf file it doesn't work. So any help would be great, or a link to a forum that covers this.

C@RL
    Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty. -Benjamin Franklin

Re: An integrated graphic card and a PCI Nvidia

Can you disable the integrated video in BIOS?

Comment

Scratch all that, (it was the BusID I had the wrong one) I now have it working, but I'm trying to install the Nvidia driver and having some problems (not uncommon), but I'll keep trying stuff.

C@RL
      Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty. -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Once you've borked it, sometimes it helps to run Envy and first UNINSTALL the Nvidia driver. Then run Envy again and install it.

Sometimes ....

Comment

I am now experiencing a interesting problem, it's all working (you know GLX and all that stuff) and when it starts X and is at the login screen every thing is perfect (1440x900) but when I logon to my account it puts it into some weird screen mode (1280x800) well it's not the maximum and it looks horrible, but the weird part it the fact that when you go to the screen size setting it says it's in 1440x900!!!!! So I realy don't know what to do.

C@RL

Comment

Maybe your personal KDE setup is overwriting the Xorg setup. Open K->System Configuration->Monitor & Video.
            Check if there is a discrepancy there.

Comment

I'd say:

1. Backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf (in case I make it worse!)

2. In Konsole
              Code:
              sudo nvidia-settings
              first "detect display", next set your resolution and refresh rates on the X Configuration panel, then click the "Save To X Configuration File" button in the lower right corner, click "save" on the little pop-up window, and then restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Who knows -- it could work!

Comment

Well "dibl" I'm sure that's a good idea, but i got it working!!!!! I took "myNigga" advice and changed some stuff in there, and then I when and fix the stuff IT put in my xorg.conf (deleted screen resolutions my monitor CAN'T do, changed the driver Back from "nv" to "nvidia") logged out restarted X and BAM!!!! It works (1440x900) and GLX TOOO!!!! Thanks for all the advice.

C@RL

Comment

Originally posted by Carlinuxlearner

BAM!!!! It works (1440x900) and GLX TOOO!!!!
                  Excellent -- that is the desired result, however it comes to be! 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X