This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SB 5.1 Live

I cannot get an SB 5.1 Live sound card to work in Kubuntu, I have checked the drivers using lspci and they appear to be OK. I have a dual boot with Windows XP hence I know that the card works fine with the KX drivers.

Re: SB 5.1 Live

In Kubuntu: Alt-F2: kmix <enter>

Checking volume controls

At his point make sure sound is unmuted and that the volume is turned up. Unmute everything. Sometimes a muted channel will be the problem, even if the description doesn't seem immediately relevant.

Also check that your switches are set correctly - for instance that if you use the analog output the analog switch is set ON or that the digital or S/PDIF switch is set OFF. You can select which tracks/switches are visible in Volume Control (see above) under Edit->Preferences.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/De...gSoundProblems
    Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

I have tried all the suggestions short of manually configuring the sound interface, still no joy. A friend has a
      Terratec Aureon 5.1 PCI card and I will try that instead.

I did actually try going back to Ubuntu as I'm sure that it was working with that, but I found that I couldn't install Ubuntu over Kubuntu. I tried both the 32 bit and 64 ISOs without success. I finally installed the AMD64 version of Kubuntu over the top of 32 bit Kubuntu, but still no sound.

Comment

K Menu->System Configuration->Sound System

There are 2 tabs. In General, click TEST button with your volume crancked up. If no sound, go to Hardware tab and mess with the audio device. Alsa and/or OSS should work.

Comment

Gave up trying to get anything out of Kubuntu, so finally managed to reinstall Ubuntu. When I turn the volume right up, a continuous tone emanates from the speakers. Tried using ALSA and OSS but can only get variously pitched tones. Why is it so hard to get something so basic to work?

Comment

Funky/bad/obscure/not-well-supported hardware.

Software is easy, reverse engineering hardware is hard.
            For external use only.

Comment

Installed the Terratec card and it worked straight away on both XP and Ubuntu. I looked on the ALSA website and SB Live 5.1 is supported according to them, so maybe it is a problem in Feisty Fawn. Anyway, I'll stick with the Terratec card as it seems to work OK.

Comment

Has anyone else had problems with Sound Blaster cards?

Comment

Yes.

I've seen a lot of problems posted regarding the Audigy card, and other version of soundblasters, on Ubuntu Forum.

Comment

I had a SB Live 5.1 OEM which worked with Conectiva 6 (kernel 2.2). My previous sound card was a Diamond Monster MX300, which had to be replaced because of a known and documented incompatibility with the ASUS K7V board, so I could never try this one with a newer Linux at that time.
                    When I had a FIC VA 503+, I tried the MX300 with Red Hat 5 and some version of Caldera, but the card was released in 1999 and these versions were also from 1999. Aureal never mentioned Linux until 2000, when I had to swap this card because of the hardware upgrade, the K7V didn't like the MX300.
                    From what I remember, this was the only hardware I ever had which didn't work with Linux, but I bet this card was supported in 2001 or so.

Comment

Working...
                    X